I am preparing my attic for some additional insulation and was wondering what the consensus is on this subject. I currently have a fair amount of plywood flooring in my attic, installed over R19 fiberglass batts that were laid in between 2X6 ceiling joists. The batts are faced, installed with the paper side down (towards the ceiling sheetrock). I was planning to blow cellulose over these floored areas, leaving the plywood in place, but I thought I better be sure there wouldn't be issues with moisture, etc. Does the plywood need to come up or can I go over it with the celullose?

Asked By Tommy Detamore | Aug 19 14

Is the technique easy to learn? How many shims crews would you use on a window?

Asked By David A Flannery | Aug 18 14

Hi

I'm new here, and I really appreciate all the great information that has been provided by GBA and its users.

I've been reading a lot about cathedral ceiling insulation, and it seems like it is a fine line between success and disaster when it comes to moisture control. So now I have a few questions myself that I hope someone could help me answer.

Asked By Chris Jensen | Aug 18 14

All this talk about ductless minisplits is making me dizzy. If a forced air furnace gives a bad atmosphere in a building, doesn't a minisplit per room just give many bad atmospheres?

Dana reminded me on another post that a forced air furnace increases infiltration/exfiltration. Well, why doesn't a minisplit heater or cooler do the same?

Asked By flitch plate | Aug 19 14

I'm building a new house, and would love to hear feedback on the insulation plan. It can be found here: http://lazukars.bitbucket.org/house.png

DESIGN GOALS:

- Have a consistent insulation pattern up from the basement and up through the roof. In this case XPS on the exterior and ccSPF on the interior.
- Eliminate thermal bridges wherever possible.
- Double the insulation required by code

CONCERNS WITH THIS DESIGN:

- Foam Sandwich: The current sandwich of XPS on OSB on ccSPF will create OSB rot. The OSB will not be able to dry to the interior.

Asked By Ryan Lazuka | Aug 18 14

So, My AC system died last spring, and I was prepping to put new windows (impact resistant, low e) in my house... My house is approx 2200 sq.ft in Florida, south of Tampa... Zone 2A

I had a 4 ton system, and knew that would be too big as a replacement, but my HVAC tech replaced it with what was here and said he could tune it... Now my house averages 55%rh or higher... Up into mid 66-67...

Asked By Chris Marriner | Aug 18 14

New construction, zone 4 on the line of zone 5 (47460).

Bonus room over garage with radiant floor heat in concrete floor.

My floor system has some areas that are blocked off with framing to add support to the ends of the floor in the bonus room. What can I do to insulate those blocked off areas before the ceiling goes in? Would 3.5" of open-cell be enough tot help with keeping the bonus room warm or would it completely block any benefit of migrating warm air from the below garage floor?

Asked By Anthony Hughes | Aug 18 14

Having IAQ problems with a 5 year old home on the coast in South Carolina. We had the attic foamed with Demilec Open Cell Foam and crawl space done with closed cell a few months after we moved in. Blower door tests performed after the foaming (forgot the #) revealed the home is very tight, and in summer months we are experiencing the "Fishy" odor when the sun beats on the house and the AC is running on the second floor, first floor not too bad, also not too bad during the winter.

Asked By Tom Oelschlager | Aug 19 14

New construction zone 4 on the line with zone 5 (47460)

Bonus room over garage with radiant floor heat in garage floor

2x12 bottom cord in the floor and 2x8 rafters.

I plan to pre-hang drywall on the knee wall in the bonus room and spray 3.5 inches of open cell foam in between those studs. Then I plan to install 1.5 inch fiberglass faced PolyIso rigid foam on the attic side of the knee wall and tape the seams.

Asked By Anthony Hughes | Aug 18 14

I had R60 blown into my 1000sqft attic where there was previously only about R11. Baffles were installed in almost every roof rafter. Air sealing of attic floor was performed. This is a low pitch asphalt shingled hip roof over the whole house.

Asked By Jeff Watson | Jul 12 14