Loose-fill cellulose in a small attic

It seems that the best way to insulate the vented attic on my 20x48 new house with a simple 4:12 gable roof will be to blow in loose-fill cellulose, but I wonder about maneuvering within the tiny spaces of the attic. The roof will be framed with standard trusses, with a flat drywall ceiling attached to their underside. The attic will not be used for storage or anything else. The house is in Climate Zone 2B in the Southwest.

Asked By Jeff Cooper | Jul 4 15

Log walls and foil facing

Hi,

We are planing to add 3 inches of rigid foam to the outside of our 6 inch log home, giving the walls R 28, better then the R9 we get with just the pine logs. We will also have a ¾ rain screen under cedar siding. I have been reading that if you had a polyethylene vapor barrier in the house, to not use foam with aluminum-foil facing.

Asked By Thomas Gardner | Jul 3 15

Boiler upgrade recommendation?

I’m currently looking to upgrade my old boiler as it developed a small crack and is leaking. My current boiler is a P-468U-wt (151,000 btu/hr) Weil-McClain oil-fired boiler with a 40-gallon hot water holding tank.

I’m getting two different suggestions from two of my plumbers and would love some input on their recommendations. One recommends replacing it with an Energy Kinetics System 2000 and the other one is suggesting a Navien Combi-boiler.

Asked By Joe Pavia | Jul 1 15

ERV exhaust up a chimney

Can I run the main exhaust pipe of my ERV into the abandoned flue of my chimney?

Asked By Fred Richards | Jul 4 15

Placement of vapor retarder for radiant heat in slab

I'm building a small house (~ 1000 sq. ft.) on a full foundation and am having radiant heat tubing installed in the slab. The plumbing contractor plans to staple the tubing to the foam insulation under the slab. I had planned to put the foam over crushed stone then a 10 mil sheeting over then the slab on that as I've seen in numerous foundation diagrams. But if the plastic sheeting is over the foam the staples for the radiant tubing will poke many holes in it so that seems like a bad idea.

Asked By Martin Frank | Jul 3 15

ZIP R-Sheathing Climate Zone 5?

I am considering ZIP R-sheathing for a home in Climate Zone 5. The wall assembly would be a ventilated rainscreen as follows (exterior to interior)

1. Hardie Panel siding
2. 3/4" furring/airspace
3. ZIP 1.5" R-sheathing (R6.6 total, 12-16 perms for the OSB, <1.0 perm for the polyiso)
4. 2x6 studs
5. Icynene Low Density (5.5" thick R-20, 11 perms)
6. 1/2" gypsum

Asked By Joseph Yount | May 12 15

Relative value of air sealing at exterior sheathing

I am trying to understand the relative value of air sealing at the sheathing. To do this lets consider cost as the benchmark. I realize that there is value beyond cost but this is an easily quantifiable benchmark and the one that seems most resonate with my clients.

Asked By Hugh Stearns | Jul 1 15

Nebraska — unvented attic with high humidity

Last year after a severe hailstorm the attic insulation and the entire roof deck of my 1600 sqft ranch style home in Fort Calhoun, NE was replaced. With the replacement we upgraded the insulation to Open Cell Icynene spray foam on roof decking. The spray foam is at least 6-8 inches on the roof, and covers the sidewalls, soffits, and attached garage ceiling. This completely closes in the attic to the thermal envelope of the house. I've been monitoring the relative humidity levels of the house for the last year.

Asked By Nick Schuler | Jun 28 15

New Unvented Attic and High Humidity

Asked By Nick Schuler | Jun 30 15

Spray closed-cell flat roof or not? Old brick walls - spray foam?

Greetings, Im currently renovating a 100 yr old rowhome end unit and adding a large framed addition that will have a flat roof deck surface that will be coated with FRP over OSB ;2x12 joists( no venting /warm roof) -there are so many controversial articles on how to properly insulate to avoid moisture entrapment it is dizzying..

Asked By Darron Zimmer | Jul 3 15