Methods for air sealing the ceiling

We are building in a cold climate, zone 7, using ICF walls. Because the walls are ICF, they act as an air barrier, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to air seal the ceiling. Based on what I've read on this site, I'm following a few guidelines:

• Ceiling will be flat, using energy heel trusses
  • Using blown in cellulose, thinking around R-60
  • No recessed lighting (thanks Martin)
Asked By Nick Hall | Aug 28 15

Insulating basement walls of old home in a cold climate

I live in a 1911 home in Duluth, Minnesota (Climate Zone 7A). I have started to insulate my basement walls to R-15 using 3 inches of XPS foam board. Because of the age of the home, our cold climate, and the presence of clay soils, the building inspector recommend that I remove the bottom two feet of insulation in the basement so that the walls are exposed near the basement floor to keep the concrete warm during the winter.

Asked By Brad Leick | Aug 31 15

XPS or PVC under base plate

I'm looking to start framing in our basement. The house is 15 years old, and did have some water leakage (some small puddles could form during big rains... We had crack injections done this fall to alleviate the issue), but no flooding yet (knock on wood).

I thought I read somewhere that you could use XPS insulation to put under the base plate of the wall. It seems like a good idea (a 1" insurance policy should the basement begin to flood).

Asked By Andrew Wayland | Feb 22 15

I am considering getting solar panels on my roof and have quotes from 2 different companies. Is there anywhere I can go to get help on determining which are the better panels?

I have al the information readily available. I also know that over time they get cheaper and better but with the state and federal tax credits ending in 2016 I want to take advantage of that. Also, Duke Power is offering $1 for every watt you have installed; so a 13kw (proposed) system would be rebated at $13,000. Both companies have stated that over time Duke will consistently lower the rebate amount so I want to take advantage of that, too.

Asked By Dave Sanda | Aug 31 15

Is there a way to move forward without removing the exterior 1" XPS rigid foam, Tyvek, and windows?

Last February I started the project of adding an entire second story to our 1946 1,550 sq. ft. ranch home in Southern Wisconsin. It is on the border of WI and IL. It could be considered in the northern part of climate zone 5A or southern part of zone 6A.

Asked By Steven Bessel | Aug 30 15

REMOTE walls using Roxul products

I've been on here previously to gauge everyone's thoughts on the building plan for our new house, and I was curious about the opinions out there on what we are currently thinking. We're building in northern Oakland county Michigan climate zone 5. The house is a 2357 sq ft ranch with a walkout basement. We've considered just about everything, but here's where our heads are at the moment:

1) I think we like the idea of doing superior walls for the backfilled foundation walls, with the exposed walls being wood framed (for ease of attaching cladding and framing windows and doors).

Asked By Brian W | Aug 30 15

Best strategy for waterproofing and insulating a half block/half brick basement?

I live in a 1920's home in Central Ohio (Climate Zone 5A). The basement has an exposed French drain (ie, the weeping holes, trench, gravel and tile are there, but have not been covered with concrete) with sump pump. The basement is 2/3rds below ground, with the walls made up of half cement block (bottom portion) and half brick and mortar (top portion). The brick and mortar is partially above ground and is covered on the exterior with a stone and mortar veneer.

Asked By Matt Bierlein | Jul 13 15

Minisplit or furnace?

Hi, I know there is lots of discussion about this; however, our proposed new construction seems to be in unclear realm of which to use.

Asked By Mark Buckingham | Aug 28 15

How to build a gabled roof on a rigid insulation roof?

Hello to all at this forum. Back in 2013 I posted on my garage build here....

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/energy-efficiency-an...

Since a few months now I had started doing some work on my home to increase the insulation value.

I am including a photo of how it is today just before we add the roof sheathing, but I am sort of stuck on how to include a gable roof on each end of the house.

Asked By Leon Stepanian | Aug 17 15

Wood stove installation and exterior foam board insulation

If I want to install a wood stove through the wall or the roof and both have 6" of foam board on the exterior, are there additional precautions to prevent exhaust heat duct from melting or causing a fire around the insulation? For example, install one or more layers of cement board over the 6" of foam. Then install through the wall or roof duct work.

Asked By HORST SCHMIDT | Jun 30 12