We're about to begin framing on a new house in zone 6A (Minneapolis). From months of reading and following posts here, I've devised what I think is a wall/insulation strategy that will work. Does this look right, or are there any tweaks that could make it:
a) perform better (within reason; we're going after the "pretty good" model, not a Passivhaus)
b) more cost-effective
c) easier to build

The concept (inside to out):
- Drywall
- 2x6 stud wall
- Membrain or similar (6-mil poly if the inspector insists...sigh)
- 5.5" blown fiberglass cavity insulation (BIBS) = R-23

Asked By Joshua Wyatt | Jul 28 14

A major source of heat loss/gain are the side east and west facing plaster & lathe side walls.

I've measured the temperature of those walls; they stay hotter than outside temps well into the night, and there's 5-10 degree increase as you go up the wall from floor to ceiling. They're actually hotter than ceiling and kneewalls alot of the time. There's also some moisture coming through; the plaster is rotted through under the window apron and there are cracks in the corners.

Asked By Tomas Bridle | Jul 28 14

Looking for an answer before I start this project. I live in northern MN. I had my attic spray foamed 4" behind knee walls, 3" in the living space. This is a 1 1/2 story with a non-vented roof. I want to know if its O.K. to use foil faced 1" rigid sheets to cover studs, foil facing down between the knee walls. I did plan on filling all voids and foil taping the joins. Then 1/2 sheet rock over the foam. Just want to make sure this isn't considered a double vapor barrier, and if this would be considered good construction.

Thanks

Asked By david chinn | Jul 27 14

Hello, I really appreciate this website.

I understand that powered attic ventilators have a lot of problems. But my contractor is suggesting adding one to support a whole-house fan, due to the limited attic ventilation. (I do have some passive ventilation but not quite enough, and the gables are maxed out because it's a flat roof.)

So as long as I always run both fans at the same time, and as long as the cfm of the whole house fan exceeds the cfm of the attic fan, is there still going to be a problem?

Asked By Robert Shelton | Jul 25 14

Hello folks,

First, I'd just like to say how thankful I am for the invaluable resource that is GBA. I spend A LOT of time reading the blogs and Q&A and I find that pretty much any question I might have has been covered here already. Though sometimes my understanding gets a little vague regarding certain details so I am hoping for some input on a potential wall detail.

Asked By Noah Byler | Jul 23 14

11' X 30' room. Fujitsu 9rls2h. The specifications shows the flow pattern is long and skinny. Would it be best to install at the middle of the long wall or install at the end on a short wall? There will be ceiling fans at the midpoint and at the point farthest from the minisplit if on a short wall.

Asked By Shawn Shumaker | Jul 28 14

I am planning a 30'x22' farm workshop in Eastern Ontario, Canada. I want to end up with a level floor suitable for woodworking machines (table and bandsaws, planer, jointer etc) , Floor will be on grade, location is on a small rise and I will make sure there is good drainage away from building. I will place 2" of SM insulation under floor. I will most likely frame double stud walls and insulate with 6" to 7" of Roxul.

Asked By mark godfrey | Jul 26 14

Reading about rainscreen siding systems it seems that the recommended gaps are typically 1/2" to 3/4" between the housewrap and and the back of the siding. Is there any reason why one couldn't do a very large gap using thicker furring material? Maybe around 3" or 4" between the siding and the sheathing for architectural reasons on a remodel? Would there be problems with having that large of a gap?

Asked By Kevin Hardy | Jul 26 14

Hi All,

We are using Foamglas for insulating under our slab as well as the slab edges (monolithic slab on grade). It is a requirement to leave a 2" gap above the Foamglas on the slab edges for termite inspections. Are there any options to satisfy this requirement, but not have the thermal gap? Perhaps industrial strength velcro or something :) ?

Thank you,
Stacey Owens

Asked By Stacey Owens | Jul 18 14

(Examples of what I am referring to can be seen at: http://vastern.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Splayed-cladding-detail.jpg AND http://www.bartonqualitytimber.co.uk/images/categories/chestnut%20claddi... )

I am not terribly conceded about the cedar: if it is stained all 6 sides with two coats and placed on black painted strapping, then it should handle the elements reasonably well. My main concern is what the substrate behind it should be.

Asked By Burke Stoller | Jul 18 14