Q&A: A Forum for Green Building Experts and Beginners

Q & A Instructions

[Click map to enlarge]

The GBAGreenBuildingAdvisor.com web site has a wealth of articles on a wide variety of construction topics. Before posting your question, you may want to check out the articles on this page: How To Do Everything. You just might discover an article there that provides the information you seek.

Please register for a free account or sign in to ask and answer green building questions.

If you want to post a question, the usual rules of courtesy apply:
1. Be nice.
2. If you can't be nice, be polite.
3. If you can't be nice or polite — well, please be brief.

To attach a photo or illustration: Under the box labeled “More explanation,” look for the words “File attachments.” Click that, and you should be able to attach a photo.

Thanks for joining the conversation!

0 Answers

Spay foam on the inside of poured foundation to avoid mold?

I have a question regarding insulating a new construction poured foundation in zone 6B, close to 7A. Twenty miles north of Minneapolis.

Originally I was planning on either a T-Mass or ICF foundation. Both are somewhat more expensive and have a lower R value than what I am now proposing. The current plan is to insulate the outside with 2" foam sheets. This will satisfy code. Then on the inside I would spray 2" of foam and insulate a stud wall with either Rockwool or fiberglass. This wall would be around R-30.

Asked By jim sweazey | Mar 26 17
5 Answers

Building a new house, looking for opinion on insulation/exterior foam combinations

I am currently in the process of designing a new home. I built one four years ago that we have decided is too big and inefficient for what we need. This time around I am looking to build small, simple and efficient. The house will most likely be framed with 2x6 walls, however I would like to maximize R value of that wall.

Asked By user-6801629 | Mar 23 17
3 Answers

Second Generation Whirlpool Heat-Pump Dryers: Any good?

I would like to install a ventless dryer. The Whirlpool HybridCare duets are the only large ventless dryers on the market. The discontinued WED99HEDW model got a lot of good reviews. The new models don't have many reviews yet, but the reviews they have aren't good.

Here's my question: Is anybody out there actively building the new models into new homes, and are you getting callbacks about their quality? Does anybody have a new model HybridCare, and has it been reliable?

--John

Asked By John Ranson | Mar 26 17
2 Answers

Building New Home in Climate zone 5 need insulation help

We are building a new home in zone 5 (Michigan) and I would like your recommendations on how you would insulate the walls and roof/attic space.

The home is 3500 sqft with 2750 on the main floor and 750 upstairs. The main living space (kitchen, dinning, living room) is open concept with a cathedral ceiling. Other areas have a more traditional attic space.

The basement will be unfinished and we will use 2" rigid foam under the slab and on the walls. (unless you tell me differently)

Walls are 2x6 construction.

Asked By user-6804535 | Mar 26 17
0 Answers

Different one-part foams

Hey folks,

I'm installing XPS/EPS rigid foam against my basement walls. I've seen and read on FHB using low-expanding as the adhesive to hold the foam on the walls. I'll be framing a 2x4 wall in front of the rigid foam, so the adhesive only needs a moderate hold.

Great Stuff Window & Door is by far the most common spray foam I see. Its in the big box stores, Amazon, etc. I've put up a few rigid foam sheets in the basement as a test with the Great Stuff and the hold is fine.

Asked By Jamie Royal | Mar 26 17
2 Answers

How does ambient temperature affect wetting/drying cycles?

Hello GBA pros & community! I've been a lurker around here for awhile, but this is my first post. I'm enclosing a timber-frame in southeastern Manitoba (climate zone 7A), and plan to build a vented roof assembly with dense-packed cellulose insulation. For reference, the specific assembly I have in mind is as follows, from the inside:

-timber rafters
-1x6 T&G pine ceiling
-ice & water shield (interior air-barrier, class I vapour retarder, and temporary rain protection for the timber-frame)
-18" deep non-structural 'trusses' dense-packed with cellulose

Asked By Benjamin Pries | Mar 22 17
8 Answers

Reclaimed and factory second rigid foam

I have seen a couple of recommendations here and there on obtaining reclaimed rigid foam. One post actually mentioned the Syracuse area, close to where I live, so I checked craigslist as they suggested and sure enough there was--new, reclaimed and factory second rigid foam.

Asked By Nina Saeli | Mar 16 17
2 Answers

Low Slope "Warm" Roof Build Up Clarification

Hello
We are advancing on the planning stages of a new build project in climate 4C (near Vancouver, Canada). Thanks to the many articles and Q&As on this site I've got myself comfortable with most outstanding issues we are facing in developing our roof and wall build ups. This is a small building used as a holiday home, not fully occupied in Winter.
With that in mind any feedback from your good selves would be appreciated.
The roof is a mono pitch (shed style) front to back at just 1:12 with no "rafter" space to hold insulation
Build up:
- Exposed 3X8 Douglas fir beams

Asked By Quinn Sievewright | Mar 26 17
4 Answers

HVAC Systems

Hi all,

Last week I asked my first question about how to improve my building envelope and reduce mech system costs. using coolcalc.com, I simulated a number of manual J scenarios, I think I have the envelope options down to 1-3 things and will await results from my energy consultant.

The question now remains as to how to best heat & cool my home. On that post, many people suggested Chilltrix, but one poster suggested Implementation risk. They didn't really explain what they meant by that.

Asked By Matthew Hicks | Mar 25 17
4 Answers

Second Guessing ERV/HRV Install

Planning for new construction in the Finger lakes region this year. Both our architect (recommends ERV) and a local insulation contractor (recommends HRV) are advising us to install a stand alone ventilation system as we will not have an HVAC/duct work. After reading some of the articles on this site; I'm not sure how necessary it is to take on that expense.

Asked By Nina in CNY | Mar 26 17
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!