Helpful? 0

Poly under panelling ?

I have a camp that I use mostly in the summer, but some in the fall/winter, that I have: insulated the floor, will spray foam the cathedral ceiling, rebuilt the walls with (outside – in) 19/32” T1-11 sheets (stained), 1 x 3 strapping (vented air space), Tyvek house wrap, 7/16 OSB, 2 x 6 studs, Roxul R24. And now I’m stuck. I have read many (most) of your articles, etc. on vapor barriers, permeability, etc., and if I understand correctly, I should not install a poly barrier, and go with primed and painted drywall, however, I would prefer for simplicity sake to go with 4x8 sheets of panelling. Any thoughts on how I could successfully keep moisture out of the wall cavity if I use panelling / other suggestions? Thanks.

Asked by David Beals
Posted Tue, 07/01/2014 - 10:59

Tags:

2 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

David,
1. Where are you located? What is your climate zone?

2. Vapor diffusion almost never causes moisture problems in walls. However, paying attention to airtightness is important. If you plan to install 4x8 sheets of paneling on the interior of your walls, make sure that you use a continuous bead of caulk or adhesive around the perimeter of each sheet when you install the paneling. It's also a good idea to use airtight electrical boxes.

For more information, see these articles:

Vapor Retarders and Vapor Barriers

Forget Vapor Diffusion — Stop the Air Leaks!

Do I Need a Vapor Retarder?

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Tue, 07/01/2014 - 11:54

Helpful? 0

Thanks for the quick reply Martin. I am a huge fan of your work.

I am located in Ontario, Canada (in between Ottawa and Toronto) (Zone 6)

I have installed poly vapor barrier boxes around each of the receptacles, and will seal them well. I presume I should caulk these to the panelling too.

Thanks again!

Answered by David Beals
Posted Tue, 07/01/2014 - 12:18

Other Questions in Green building techniques

Most cost-effective method for achieving 3 ACH 50?

In Green building techniques | Asked by Nick Sisler | Sep 17, 14

The differences between mass and insulation

In Green products and materials | Asked by Nathaniel G | Sep 15, 14

Tudor half-timber battens and exterior stucco — rainscreen assembly

In General questions | Asked by Ani Brown | Sep 17, 14

Has the Oak Ridge study on convective heat loss in blown fiberglass been updated to cover newer materials?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Neil Weinstock | Jul 21, 14

Liability insurance - what would that cover?

In General questions | Asked by George G | Sep 12, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!