0 Helpful?

How to improve the walls for a 1000-square-foot house near Asheville?

What would be the best way to improve the walls in a 1000-square-foot house that currently has 2x4 walls with fiberglass batt insulation covered with OSB, felt paper, and vinyl siding?

I want to replace the vinyl siding with fiber cement plank siding, and thought this would be a good time to add some XPS insulation between the OSB and the siding. The felt paper undoubtedly will be damaged by removing the vinyl siding, so I am guessing I need a house wrap (Tyvek or other) and then the XPS sheets.

Should the XPS be taped at joints and windows and doors? Do I need a rainscreen gap between the XPS and the siding? The exterior walls are sitting on a concrete block foundation, and there is a crawl space under the floor.

Asked by Stuart Murray
Posted Jul 10, 2014 9:34 PM ET
Edited Jul 11, 2014 8:00 AM ET

1 Answer

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Q. "Should the XPS be taped at joints and windows and doors?"

A. It's a good idea to improve the airtightness of your wall assembly when you do this work, so I would say yes.

Q. "Do I need a rainscreen gap between the XPS and the siding?"

A. I think it is a good idea. Here is more information on the topic: All About Rainscreens.

You probably also want to read this article: How to Install Rigid Foam Sheathing.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Jul 11, 2014 6:48 AM ET

Other Questions in Green building techniques

Vapor barrier on DIY walk-in cooler?

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Mahlon | Oct 4, 15

Can anyone direct me to the best information on wiring a new residence for 100% LED lighting?

In General questions | Asked by Caroline Di Diego | Apr 13, 15

NON-Flanged (Insert) Window Replacement + Flashing

In Green building techniques | Asked by Alexander Sanita | Sep 28, 15

Sourcing Foamglas

In Green products and materials | Asked by John | Oct 4, 15

Insulation advice

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Quinton | Oct 4, 15
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!