Low Slope "Warm" Roof Build Up Clarification

Hello
We are advancing on the planning stages of a new build project in climate 4C (near Vancouver, Canada). Thanks to the many articles and Q&As on this site I've got myself comfortable with most outstanding issues we are facing in developing our roof and wall build ups. This is a small building used as a holiday home, not fully occupied in Winter.
With that in mind any feedback from your good selves would be appreciated.
The roof is a mono pitch (shed style) front to back at just 1:12 with no "rafter" space to hold insulation
Build up:
- Exposed 3X8 Douglas fir beams

Asked By Quinn Sievewright | Mar 26 17

Building New Home in Climate zone 5 need insulation help

We are building a new home in zone 5 (Michigan) and I would like your recommendations on how you would insulate the walls and roof/attic space.

The home is 3500 sqft with 2750 on the main floor and 750 upstairs. The main living space (kitchen, dinning, living room) is open concept with a cathedral ceiling. Other areas have a more traditional attic space.

The basement will be unfinished and we will use 2" rigid foam under the slab and on the walls. (unless you tell me differently)

Walls are 2x6 construction.

Asked By user-6804535 | Mar 26 17

HVAC Systems

Hi all,

Last week I asked my first question about how to improve my building envelope and reduce mech system costs. using coolcalc.com, I simulated a number of manual J scenarios, I think I have the envelope options down to 1-3 things and will await results from my energy consultant.

The question now remains as to how to best heat & cool my home. On that post, many people suggested Chilltrix, but one poster suggested Implementation risk. They didn't really explain what they meant by that.

Asked By Matthew Hicks | Mar 25 17

Second Generation Whirlpool Heat-Pump Dryers: Any good?

I would like to install a ventless dryer. The Whirlpool HybridCare duets are the only large ventless dryers on the market. The discontinued WED99HEDW model got a lot of good reviews. The new models don't have many reviews yet, but the reviews they have aren't good.

Here's my question: Is anybody out there actively building the new models into new homes, and are you getting callbacks about their quality? Does anybody have a new model HybridCare, and has it been reliable?

--John

Asked By John Ranson | Mar 26 17

Second Guessing ERV/HRV Install

Planning for new construction in the Finger lakes region this year. Both our architect (recommends ERV) and a local insulation contractor (recommends HRV) are advising us to install a stand alone ventilation system as we will not have an HVAC/duct work. After reading some of the articles on this site; I'm not sure how necessary it is to take on that expense.

Asked By Nina in CNY | Mar 26 17

Therma-tru Door Configuration

I've seen recommendations for Therma-Tru doors with their Multi-Point Locking System as a reasonably priced energy-efficient 8' entry door.. For anyone who has gone this route, would you be willing to share how you configured your doors? They have a lot of options for sills, corner pads, weatherstripping, etc. I'm curious what other folks have purchased, and what seems to have worked well.

My house will be in zone 5 near Rochester, NY. My doors will be in-swing to keep snow from blocking the door.

--John

Asked By John Ranson | Mar 24 17

Still okay to leave Tyvek exposed during construction?

In this older thread, the consensus seems to be that tyvek lasts just fine if left exposed for a few months, based on manufacturer's recommendations and past experience

Asked By John Ranson | Mar 26 17

Saving a wet crawlspace

Hello All.

I am a long time fan of Fine Home Building, and have been a practicing contractor for the last 5 years here in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

I have been asked by a client of mine to try and address a moisture issue in the crawl space of their home here in Halifax.

Asked By Nick Rudnicki | Mar 19 17

Taping a SIP seam that lands on a rafter

I attended a home show recently and spoke with a SIP manufacturer (a reputable one) and asked them how they handle the internal taping of two SIP seams that land on a rafter. For structural purposes, obviously, one would want the seams of a SIP to land on a rafter.

They said, they typically do only an external spline on these seams and then drill holes every 6" and shoot foam into the cavity (from the exterior) and then I would tape too.

Asked By John Brown | Mar 26 17

Energy efficient attic exhaust fan?

Where could I find an energy efficient roof exhaust fan. I have power in the attic so no need for solar. The attic temperature in the summer is well above the outside temps. I presently have ventilation along the ridge and some under the eves.

Asked By housenerd | Mar 25 17