Helpful? 0

Tear-down with an existing uninsulated basement: convert to slab on grade?

This question might have an obvious answer, but I haven't been able to dig up anything on google. If I were to purchase a tear-down property that had an existing uninsulated, fieldstone basement, what would be the best course of action to build a high performance house? Fill it in with dirt then to then create a slab on grade? Tear out the fieldstone and use the existing cavity to create an insulated basement (while also hopefully re-using the fieldstone on site for something useful like a wall)? I know slab on grade is easier to insulate and I have no particular desire to have a basement, but almost all existing properties in New England have a basement so I'm amenable either way. If I were to fill it in it would almost seem more trouble than it's worth, plus I'd have concerns about the earth settling after construction. Any thoughts on this?

Asked by Ethan Fahy
Posted Mon, 07/21/2014 - 14:56

Tags:

2 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 1

Ethan,
I think you should build the kind of foundation you prefer, whichever one that is. If cost is an issue, then you should talk to excavation contractors and concrete contractors to get estimates of the two approaches. I suspect that a slab will be cheaper.

I like basements, so I would probably want to include a basement. But it's your house.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Tue, 07/22/2014 - 04:41

Helpful? 1

"Fill it with dirt" is not a good option unless it is thoroughly compacted to engineered specifications. The alternative is washed stone fill, which is expensive. If you have a hole in the ground under your house I'd recommend you use it rather than fill it.

Answered by James Morgan
Posted Sat, 07/26/2014 - 14:21

Other Questions in Green building techniques

Enclosed room on slab

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jason Schatz | Oct 16, 14

“Air-sealed” can light retrofit vs. Tenmat cover in attic?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by andrew c | Jun 22, 14

Thermal energy storage

In Green building techniques | Asked by Jim Pancanke | Oct 21, 14

What is the best ventilation system for a passive design cafe/restaurant?

In PassivHaus | Asked by monita taghva | Oct 20, 14

Insulation dew points and archaic insulation

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Graham Allan | Oct 20, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!