Being "green" in a public restroom.

What is "greener"? To dry ones hands with the hot air blower, or to use a paper towel?

Asked By KEVIN ZORSKI | Feb 18 18

Insulating a raised slab

Alright, so here’s one that I can’t find in the great treasure troves of this site: how to handle insulating my raised slab on our new house. Quick details on the project: climate zone 6, 3500sqft, two story, zip-r external insulation/sheeting (R6), fiberglass batts in 2x6 walls, combination vented roof w/ R60 cellulose and unvented roof with R50 foam, low U 4th surface fiberglass windows, and a combination of slab on grade and vented crawl w/ R48 foam. The concrete will be polished as finish floor in slab areas. Heating is entirely mini-split, no in floor radiant.

Asked By User-6804212 | Feb 17 18

Ice Damming ~ Solutions for this Situation ...

Some time back I've asked a question about my ice damming issue and received some good advice but had difficulty with local contractors; unskilled or untrustworthy. With time ticking and panic in my heart i went ahead and just got my roof resheeted (steel) but at least got all my soffit vents opened, ridge vent installed and the steel sheets installed with 1" to 2" strapping. Ice Damming still occurs, if not worse, and so i'm back for an updated solution to my existing situation.

Asked By Jake Rabe | Feb 16 18

How exterior air seal at chimney to wall interface? Chimney spalling.

Using a FLIR One, I've found a major source of air leakage into my house from around the fireplace mantel. Using a homemade blower door and a smoke pen I've discovered that the air is in fact entering from the exterior chimney to sheathing interface. While I've been able to find extensive discussion and documentation on this site how to handle through attic air gaps for a chimney, it's been less clear to me how to handle this detail on the exterior wall to chimney brick intersection.

Asked By Mike McLaine | Feb 18 18

Recommended gas furnace for 3550 square foot house

Please let me know recommended gas furnace for 3550 square foot colonial house in Detroit area

Asked By Vissu | Feb 19 18

Insulating Unfinished Basement Ceiling in Flood Plain

Hello, I tried to find an answer to this but couldn't, apologies if I missed it. Our house in upstate NY was built out of an old carriage house (in the 40s). Our subfloor is thick, wide and uneven barn beams, with gaps varying up to 1/2inch in between them. We have an unfinished, full basement. It would get damp, but we have a humidifier that keeps it at 50 humidity. We also live in a flood plain. The house has gotten water into the first floor during a major flood, but in a 100 year flood scenario it will likely stay in the basement.

Asked By Joseph McGrail | Feb 18 18

Advice on trimming out exterior light fixture where pancake box sticks out too far?

Hi guys,

I have a few exterior light fixtures I need to install but the existing pancake boxes are sticking out over an 1" from the siding.

I attached a few photos I found online that are identical to my situation.

The pancake box is installed in the wall so it cannot be removed.

What would you guys recommend I do here? Are there are deep trim boxes I can mount over the pancake box to water seal it? And then install the light fixture?

Or do I need to custom make one out of a wood block?

Any ideas you guys have would be great.

Asked By MichaelBa | Feb 18 18

Basement vapour barrier

Hi,

Asked By user-6994354 | Feb 17 18

insulating a new block house

Like all questions (at least here in Citrus County, Florida) this question is also has to consider building codes.
I am planning to build a block home. I would like to take advantage of the thermal mass capabilities by insulating the exterior rather than the interior. Keep in mind I am building on a shoestring (and a worn one at that). I would like to put foam panels on the wall with horizontal furring strips (to attach metal siding), or foam that can be stucco'd over. Will I need tyvek too? Open to suggestions for method and materials.
Jim

Asked By D James Fox | Feb 18 18

Crawlspace Beam Layout

Hi Friends,

Long time reader, first time poster. I'm looking for some feedback on my plans on fixing some floor bounce/sag.

House layout is pretty simple, 62x32 with one corner consisting of a 20x20 slab garage. Floor Joists are 2x10s, spaced 16" on center. They span almost 16'. The house has long been neglected, and the crawl was filled with moisture for years. Poor landscape drainage, washing machine leak, and a dryer vented to the crawlspace led to sagging floor joists and a main beam with rotten ends. Plus plenty of mold.

Asked By alexallo | Feb 16 18