Capillary Break Needed?

I am about to start installing 1” of Roxul Drainboard on the exterior of my foundation and have plans to bring it up to my siding. The siding sticks out 1” and the Roxul is 1” thick, do I need to leave a gap between the Roxul and Vinyl siding or add some sort of break between them to keep the Roxul from wicking up water to the siding with the potential to hit the sheathing?

Thanks

Asked By Chris King | Feb 4 16

best way to fix insulation problem in cathedral ceiling, please help!

i build my chalet about 8 yrs ago and was up in the attic and noticed black water stains (probably mold).
after many days and night researching what was wrong, i believe my issue is insulation and air leakage.
i have called all the insulation and roofing businesses (not many in this area) and each says its the others issue.

this site has been the most informative, but i cant seem to find any article or videos on how to add or change insulation in a cathedral ceiling after construction has been done.

Asked By Aaron H | Jan 31 16

Advice on yet another vented cathedral ceiling using the "peanut brittle" method.

I am building my home and have a 24'X32' section with 13' walls then a cathedral ceiling at a 7:12 pitch with 2X10's 16OC. The roof is steel with an unvented ridge cap, DuPont synthetic roof underlayment and 19/32 OSB on top of the 2X10 rafters. I will be dropping the ceiling 20" from the bottom of the ridge beam to create a mini attic for several reasons: ease electrical and ceiling fan installs, provide venting into "mini-attice" from each rafter bay into the space and out a gable vent on each end, and ultimately lower my heated space slightly closer to the living area.

Asked By Adam Rahmlow | Feb 5 16

Water heater decisions

In the process of building a new house and trying to decide on the best strategy for hot water heating.

We tried to be efficient with our floor plan design, and were able to clump the bathrooms and laundry room in one corner of the 2nd floor of our house. The guest bath is downstairs, almost directly underneath the baths upstairs. The only outlier is the kitchen and a half bath, which is on the other side of the house.

The house is all electric, and there are a couple of things I'm concerned about...

First

Asked By Clay Whitenack | Feb 1 16

Radiant Barrier House Wrap- Bug Screen at base of Air Gap?

Per the manufacture specs --- going to have a 1/2 air gap between the wall sheathing wrapped in perforated radiant barrier and the finish wall.

Looking for a durable screen to install at the base of the wall between the finish wall and the sheathing to let the air and moisture escape and no bugs to enter?

It seems Cor-a-vent has a fiber based screen that sounds like it wont last?

Any advice.

Asked By Brent Shafer | Feb 5 16

Mitsubisi Heat Pump- heat and cool

I am building a 1 1/2 story barn/garage 36 X 34 with an open upstair 2nd floor. It will have 2" form in the walls and 3" sprayed form in the ceiling. Cement floor. not too many windows and 2 garage doors.

I don't need it heated like a home but just confortable when I work in the barn. I would like to keep it about 40 degrees in the winter when not in use and will rarely need it cool in the summer. I live in southern CT.

I've been looking at the high efficienty units around 24,000 BTU. I also need to be able to set the temperature low (about 40) when not in use.

Asked By Fred Gabriele | Jan 31 16

Heat pump sizing

Asked By matthias paustian | Feb 4 16

Proper crawl space encapsulation and also radon mitigation questions

Hello, I own a 1968 cape cod style home in East Stroudsburg in the Poconos, PA (region 5). It has a full basement with 7' ceilings and concrete floor with probably little to no crushed stone underneath. At some point, there was a ditch cut out along 2 of the walls, with stone and probably a perforated pipe added, and concrete poured back except for a small channel along the block wall. This leads to a sump pit.

Adjacent to one of these 2 walls is a crawl space entrance where an addition was put in.

Asked By Ryan O'Rourke | Jan 26 16

Reducing noise transfer between rooms through ducts

In our current house which has all rigid metal ducts, noise transfers easily between rooms through the ductwork. For our new house, I want to make sure that the HRV ductwork does not have the same problem.

Flex is often maligned but it seems as though it could be useful in limited quantities. Based on what I read here, it seems that running a short section from the metal trunk to each room, while making sure the section is straight, pulled tight, and sized for the proper airflow (which probably makes this section upsized from the metal diameter), should not cause a problem.

Asked By Nick Hall | Feb 2 16

Roxul board used in basement as insulation against concrete wall?

I just watched a mike Holmes episode. He was building out a basement for bar, home theater, gym, etc. against all the walls he used roxul board as an insulation barrier then the walls were framed. I've read where Martin Holliday advised against this practice. Who's right? It makes more sense to use foam or foam board as it won't hold water. Thanks for any clarification on this topic.

Asked By tim gabriel | Mar 5 15