Sun Pump solar heat pump

Does anyone have experience with the Sun Pump solar heat pump, either with the product itself or dealing with the company? It's a relatively new company located in Vancouver BC.

Asked By Peter Schonherr | May 19 16

PEX A vs. PEX B

I am obsessing over which pex to use for a whole house manifold installation. The choices are pex-a (uponor) vs pex b (viega).

Uponor seems easier to work with, less kinking, better flow etc.

What I am most concerned with is:

1.longevity (this is my forever house)
2. safety (leaching of chemicals into drinking water)

I am on a well.

Any input as to the longevity and safety of these two different types of pipes?

Dean

Asked By Dean Sandbo | May 26 16

Tremco acoustical sealant vs. Tremco TREMPRO JS-773

Does anyone know the difference between the two? I know the Tremco accoustical sealant is the black death that is known to have properties which make it good for air sealing. The Tremco TREMPRO JS-773 is quite a bit cheaper and is described to be non-skinning and non drying like the acoustical sealant, but I don't really hear of anyone using it. The TREMPRO JS-773 also seems more readily available online. Would the TREMPRO JS-773 be suitable for sealing the sill plate if used in conjunction with an EPDM gasket?

Asked By Dillon Vautrin | May 26 16

Windows -- Pretty Good or better in Western Colorado

I am looking for windows for a Pretty Good house I am preparing to build in Carbondale, CO at an elevation of about 6,200 feet. Climate zone is 6B. We get lots of sun here and large diurnal temperature swings, year round. I don't know of any homes in town with air conditioning. I'm looking at Pretty Good insulation levels, R-5-10-20-40-60 and about 6 to 8% south facing glass with fairly low thermal mass -- partial tile floors and 5/8 drywall. Windows on the north and west will be limited. I've heard that 4% overall operable glass is a reasonable target.

Asked By Pat Kiernan | May 27 16

Fake dormers in 2016

I see these "green energy builders" putting on tacky fake dormers on the roofs of these homes. Usually 2 fake dormers. Are not fake dormers HUGE energy pigs? Not to mention, always a potential source of roof leaks?

I don't get it why they put those tacky things on homes in 2016.

Asked By Peter L | May 26 16

Adding connected sun room and greenhouse, suggested plans?

I'm thinking of taking this concept and adapting to my situation.

Differences:
Mine can be 15' wide, connected to the house by addition's north wall. Needs to be at least 25' long, up to max 35'.

North wall of addition would join the house, and the long dimension will go south. The sides face east-west.

I plan to add the wall so I can pack it with insulation and make it sturdy for heavy snow years.

Asked By Andy Nels | Feb 17 16

How deep do I go? Replacing dormer siding on 1915 house.

Hello- I've been digging into this fantastic treasure trove of articles for a couple of days (and nights) as I plan a re-side project on my dormers (In St. Paul, MN).

The problem is that as I read more, I'm starting to add so much to the "might-as-well" list that it will easily spiral out of control in terms of time and budget.

So- where can I draw the line? What techniques should I use depending on where I draw the line? Here's what I mean:

Asked By Stefan Theimer | May 26 16

Poly vapor barrier under XPS foam board in slab radiant pour

I am building a 28x40 garage in New Hampshire. I am doing an I slab radiant pour. I plan to use 2 inch xps foam board under the slab and as a thermal break to to frost walls. The issue that I have is that this install is for a garage build and will not have a roof over the floor before the slab pour leading to the possibility of rain water ending up being caught between the vapor barrier and foam board before the pour. My question is why would taping the xps foam board seams not act as an effective vapor barrier?

Asked By Jonathan Sinclair | May 26 16

Marathon and a heat pump water heater

Planning on Installing a heat pump water heater 80 gal rheem. and dumping it into two marathon water heaters... 50 gallon each. One of the marathons would be right next to the heat pump the other 80 feet away. Big long house.... The one 80 feet away would feed 1 1/2 baths, kitchen sink, dishwasher, washing machine, and potentially outdoor shower...

I know there will be about a gallon and a half sitting in that 3/4 line.. Essentially I am preheating the water going into the marathon...

Here is the question.

Asked By dean sandbo | May 27 16

Attic insulation quandary

Seeking advice on renovation plans for a 1910 house in ND - Zone 7.

HOUSE DETAILS:
- 2 1/2 stories above ground with full basement.
- 2nd story has 'sun porch' facing south.
- 2 layers of siding. Inner layer has lead paint (of course)
- Insulated in the 70's with formaldehyde foam, holes drilled through exterior to fill cavities.
- High efficiency propane furnace, forced air.
- 2 chimneys.
- 1st in middle of house used for original oil-burner furnace and water heater. Now used by wood fireplace in basement.

Asked By Tim Lange | May 16 16