DIY blower door test?

This page describes how to build a DIY blower door:

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/BlowerDoor/BlowerDoor.htm

Basically you use a furnace blower and a cheap magnetic or tube-of-water manometer. You can't finely tune the speed of the blower like a professional blower door, but given the few built-in speeds of the motor, you can generally find a speed that yields close enough to 50Pa that you can extrapolate the CFM50.

I have a furnace fan already sitting around from my decommissioned oil furnace, and I just bought a Dwyer Magnahelic manometer on Ebay for $15. Is this crazy or should it really work as described?

Asked by Nick Welch

1.

Nick,
As long as you plan to use for the first two purposes described in the article -- to "find air infiltration leaks into your house" and to "trace your progress in sealing the house" -- this approach should work just fine.

I don't think that this set up would be accurate enough to extrapolate a cfm50 number at 50 pascals. But accuracy isn't particularly important for the two purposes under discussion.

2.

Thanks Martin. Finding leaks is easy with any big enough fan. I was really interested in being able to track my progress and see the air leakage number go down as I seal things up. I realize it won't be accurate enough for me to go around boasting about my CFM50 number, but as long as I can see relative improvements in some quantitative way without scheduling and paying for a professional blower door test, that is pretty awesome.

Answered by Nick Welch