GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Finishing rigid foam against an innie window

saundersjordan | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

So I read the innie vs. outie window article on GBA and decided to go with the innie route as I had already made my R/O to size and didn’t have time to fir out the windows before my window installer (friend) showed up. So I have my windows in with flanges against sheathing and they stick out just over 2″ from the sheathing. I am putting 2′ rigid polyiso on the exterior and butting it into the windows. This means there is no foam showing. Do I need to put peel and stick flashing on the exposed foam before installing it? should I leave it away from the window slightly and spray foam that gap? Wondering what the flashing detail will be. I will then put 3/4″ vertical strapping and then siding. I have put my WRB against my sheathing. The polyiso is fiberglass faced not foil faced. Thanks in advance.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jordan,
    You wrote, "Wondering what the flashing detail will be."

Indeed. Unfortunately, Jordan, it's a little late for that.

Your rough opening needs to be flashed and waterproof before your window is installed. Moreover, innie windows usually require a waterproof exterior sill flashing to convey rain that strikes the window to the exterior.

Finally, many windows include exterior casing. Does yours?

If I understand your plan correctly, your 3/4-inch-thick vertical furring strips will be exposed at the window sill area. This is the area where you need a weatherproof sill. Similarly, your window opening needs weatherproof exterior jamb extensions. All of these details needed to be thought out and installed and flashed before your window went in.

2. saundersjordan | | #2

Hi Martin,
    I suppose I wasn't completely clear. I have wrapped my rough opening with 30 # (not minute but lb) asphalt felt bottom to top and tied it into the WRB. Then installed the window flanges on top of that and tuck taped the flanges to the WRB as pictured below. There is no exterior casing on the windows. What I meant by flashing detail is whether there needs to be flashing around the rigid foam/furring strips or not.

I feel like so far I have followed the step by step info in the innie window installation you wrote so I hope I have not gone past the point of no return. I have not foamed in the windows yet either and they are just screwed in by the interior hurricane straps to the R/O.
    Thanks again for any help.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Jordan,
    I'm glad that you flashed the rough opening (although asphalt felt isn't a great choice for the flashing on the rough sill, since asphalt felt won't be waterproof in the vulnerable corners).

Do you have a plan to flash the sill so that the water is conveyed beyond the furring strips? Needless to say, you don't want the tops of these furring strips to be visible or the spaces between the furring strips to be open to the atmosphere.

4. jinmtvt | | #4

If it is too late to do other wise,
    you could "double WB " it .
    Just install a layer of tyvek from the top of the window, extending at least double width, down to the height of the window or lower.
    ( you obliviouly need to do this in bottom to top flashed layer fashion if multiple layers are to be used )
    And then flash the window as you would do normally , on the flange, with the tyvek/WB.
    Then go on with your foam layer and do your knew WB as you would do it .

As Martin said, you will need a bottom sill to flash out from the insulation layer.

And do not rely solely on tuck tape to hold agaisn't water, it will end up bulging slowly from the top
    untill water makes it way through it ( it it sees enough water ... if it will be well protected it should be ok )

Have fun with your innie!

5. saundersjordan | | #5

Hey Jin,
    I am unclear as to where you are suggesting putting the double WB. Is it over the window flange? and I do plan on using metal flashing around the entire window. If you could clarify that would be great.
    Cheers

6. Stephen Thwaites | | #6

Jordan,
    I think the best advice would to remove the windows, create a membrane covered slope sub-sill that drains to the outside. Then re-install the windows.
    I think the second best advice would be to not tape the flange across the bottom.
    If by some fluke, some water gets through the window, not taping the bottom (or cutting the tape that is already there) gives the RO a chance to dry, perchance even drain to the outside.
    To provide an airseal i would seal the roomside edge face of the window to the RO.
    Whatever your approach at the window, Martin is correct in suggesting in the sill area in front of the window, you need to make sure water that gets past your ?alum'n? sill encounters a flashing that protects the building against water damage.
    Good Luck
    Stephen Thwaites
    Thermotech Fiberglass Fenestration

7. ArayaHomes | | #7

Jordan, asphalt felt for anything around windows is a terrible choice and a very short term option. I would never use asphalt felt, for anything. It can have it's use, sure, but the products that are out there now, even some of the more flexible tyvek products are just much better choices. Considering the long term in everything I do, asphalt felt is something I would almost never consider using on any type of envelope detail. The product will hopefully die off in genernal at some point.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |