GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Wood furring attachment to CMU

jtlloyd | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

We are renovating a building where we are adding 2″ of rigid foam to the exterior of the concrete masonry unit walls. So the wall system will be as follows from the inside surface to out;

• 8″ CMU
  • 2″ Polyiso
  • 1x Wood furring
  • Fiber cement siding

The contractor does not like the idea of having to pre-drill holes for the fasteners to support the wood furring. Has anyone ever used a powder-actuated fastener in this application? Hilti does have a fastener long enough for this application, however just wondering if anyone has actual experience with this fastening method.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Joshua,
    As far as I know, screws are the preferred method. I have not tried to use powder-actuated fasteners for this application.

I suppose you could always call the technical department at Hilti and discuss your idea with them.

2. jtlloyd | | #2

Yeah, I spoke with Hilti, and they have not tested that specific application, however they gave me testing reports on pull out and shear strengths for my structural engineer to review.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Joshua,
    It sounds like you are taking the right approach. It's good that you have a structural engineer on the case.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |