GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

I’m trying to figure out a fastening detail for an assembly with Warmboard and rigid insulation.

user-1147510793 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

What do you think of the following fastening options? Or is there another method I should consider?

1. Wood Blocking in Metal Deck, Fastening to decking below
2. Fastening through to metal deck
3. Z Purlin Fastening to metal deck

Images shown in order of options listed below:

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-2890856 | | #1

Gayle ,

Is the space below heated or unheated ? I am not particularly sure I would put much faith in anything other than the wood below steel deck with a course threaded screw . Possible movement I think would tear the bit of wood between threads of a fine screw right out . Is the 3/8" wood floor wood or a laminate ?

2. user-1147510793 | | #2

Unheated. Heating is radiant in the Warmboard layer which is attached with 12 screws possibly to metal deck. 3/8" floor is bamboo. Thanks for the quick response!

3. user-2890856 | | #3

Will there be any insulation below the deck ? Where is the building going to be located ? Are you using Warmboard heat source and did they perform the heat loads and design for your house ?

4. user-1147510793 | | #4

The building will be located in Fort Davis, Texas.

5. user-2890856 | | #5

Dry , dry and dry there , yes ? You should consider using that tubing for your cooling also if you have not already .
    You have invested quite a bit of money with Warmboard , may as well get all your seasons out of it . You have a real opportunity to build a very healthy home , especially in the climate you are in . Not alot of moisture to deal with is a dream for radiant cooling , makes that detail easier to deal with .
    Look into radiant cooling and don't just listen to anyone who brings up condensation issues , it has been done sucessfully for quite a long time now in some very challenging locations , many of which are hot and humid the while year .

6. user-1147510793 | | #6

Very dry indeed! The cooling loads for the project are negligible, so we will not have any space cooling in the home.

7. user-2890856 | | #7

Heather,
    Just looking once again at the fastening detail with the wood blocking . I suggest moving that blocking to the underside of the decking .

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |