GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Construction details for Airtight Drywall Approach and exterior wall shower?

sayn3ver | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I have a tub/shower located on an exterior wall. We are implementing the Airtight Drywall Approach on the rest of the house.

I haven’t decided between an acrylic shower insert vs. an acrylic tub + tile surround yet.

Would I be running the drywall behind then proceeding with installing the tub using the drywall surface as the construction plane vs using the stud faces normally? Normally you’d install the tub with a flange, shim the walls above the tub out to flush the flange then cement board + wrb + tile.

With inserts you normally secure insert to framing them rock to it (crappy install IMHO as the drywall always swells, pulls away, dissolves, etc over time.)

My concern is the giant gap behind the tub.
Would installing a smart vapor barrier or poly behind the tub in air tight fashion instead of rock and making it air tight with the rest of the air tight drywall work?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Lance,
    Your instincts are correct. You definitely need a durable air barrier behind your tub/shower. Options include water-resistant drywall with taped seams, cement backerboard with taped seams (and probably a skim coat of joint compound or a liquid-applied waterproofing layer as an airtight layer), or ThermoPly.

For more information on this issue, see:

Air Barriers—Tub, Shower and Fireplace Enclosures

Walls Behind Showers and Tubs

What is an acceptable air barrier behind showers and tubs?

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |