GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Reverse board and batten siding and rainscreen details

Kail_Z | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I am trying to make some final decisions on my rain screen and siding and would really appreciate some advice. I am in climate zone C-4, Oregon coastal mountains = lots of rain. I am planning on using locally milled rough cut reverse board and batten. My wall plan at this point is 2×6’s on 24″ centers sheathed in OSB, then covered with a 1″ layer of XPS rigid insulation, then wrapped with my WRB (RainGuard 3D), this is where my windows will be installed. On the WRB I am planning on running horizontal rough cut 1×3’s (equal to 5/4) on 24″ centers as nailers and a air gap. I then will screw my rough cut reverse board and batten to these nailers. I was planning on my boards being 1×12’s and my battens being 1×3’s with a 1″ reveal.

I have a number of questions that I would appreciate some advice on.

1) I have some ideas but am looking for a simple fast way to trim out my windows. From the fin of the window I will have a 1″ air gap and then 2″ of siding. Any easy suggestions? I was planning on picture framing the windows and then attaching a 1×4’s perpendicular to the picture frame boards to come out and butt my siding up to.

2) Does anyone have any details on a easy way to bug and rodent screen the top and bottom of my siding.

3) In this area you see board and batten and the boards are usually 1×12’s and the battens are usually 1×3’s. I have only seen reverse board and batten online and it looks like the boards are usually narrower then 12″ and it leads to a sharper more modern look. Any suggestions on board widths?

4) Do I need to cut all my horizontal runners at a angle on the upper edge to promote water drainage?

5) Is this way to complicated? Should I just use 5/8 plywood to sheath with and eliminate the horizontal nailers and screw threw my rigid insulation to the plywood? That seems like it would be a lot more wholes in my wrb and insulation.

Any help would be great. I have read a lot of great advice on this site. And I love drawings.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Kail,
    In case you haven't seen it, here is a link to an article you might want to read: All About Rainscreens.

Q. "I have some ideas but am looking for a simple fast way to trim out my windows."

A. Exterior window trim is an aesthetic decision. I like the look of traditional windows with a strong sill, side casing, and a head casing that is thicker than the side casing so that it ends up proud, plus a little cap trim to make an additional drip edge above the head casing. Look at other houses to see what other builders do, and determine what you like. Reverse board-and-batten is a fairly modern look, so you might prefer more subtle or narrower trim.

Q. "Does anyone have any details on a easy way to bug and rodent screen the top and bottom of my siding?"

A. The rainscreen article mentioned above has information on bug screening.

Q. "Any suggestions on board widths?"

A. Most board and batten siding jobs use 1x10s or 1x12s, but you could use 1x8s in a pinch. Again, this is an aesthetic decision.

Q. "Do I need to cut all my horizontal runners at an angle on the upper edge to promote water drainage?"

A. No.

Q. "Should I just use 5/8 plywood to sheath with and eliminate the horizontal nailers and screw through my rigid insulation to the plywood?"

A. For the reasons mentioned in the article I linked to, you really want the air gap behind your siding.

2. Kail_Z | | #2

Thanks for the info Martin. I have read your great article on rain screens and it has partly inspired my wall design. I will end up with 1" gaps in my reverse board and batten that I need to protect from insects and rodents. It seems like most of the rain screen vent products like Cor-A-Vent have a maximum width of 3/4". Do you have any suggestions for other products or methods?

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Kail,
    If I were you, I would use insect screen to keep insects and rodents out of the rainscreen gap. Details for doing this are shown in my article on rainscreens.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |