GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Gray/ grey water system in Southern California

StutsFX | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I am new to GBA so bear with me if this has come up before. I am in Southern California with severe drought conditions. I think I have a good arrangement for a greywater system- One story house on a medium slope hillside so my crawl space tapers from 2 ft. to 8 ft. Great for dealing with the utilities. It also might be great for natural drainage of a greywater system. I was wondering if I put a large pool size sand filter inline if I could let the water drain through into a say 100 gallon holding tank and use a submersible pump attached to the drip system and/ or perforated pipe drainage. Any backflushing would have to be plumbed into the existing septic system/ leach pit. Tearing up my wife’s landscaping to lay out an extensive underground leach field would be grounds for a divorce.
Or, are there any other ideas floating around out there? Or do I just plumb the 2 bathrooms into a shallow (1 foot?) field with say 1 1/2″ perforated pipe? There would be very few straight runs getting around the trees, bushes, etc.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Richard,
    The most important factor affecting the design of a graywater system is local code approval. Some jurisdictions outlaw these systems; others have strict regulations. A homeowner who makes a mistake with a DWV plumbing alteration can cause a public health problem, so it makes sense to regulate these installations.

Commercial graywater systems are available; these commercial systems are more likely to gain code approval than a jury-rigged system installed by a homeowner.

For more information, see GBA Encyclopedia: Gray Water.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |