GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Housewrap on the gable (non-living attic walls) or not?

user-5123022 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

My framer will not put Tyvek, house wrap on an gable wall where there is no conditioned air. (non living space above the house. I have found proper attic sealing, venting, insolated articles to back this and to dispute it. Please advise.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #1

William,
    House wrap wasn't invented for use as an air-sealer, it was a new version of building paper. Building paper and sheet WRBs provide a secondary boundary against water infiltration through the cladding, and are also used that way under roof shingles. What justification does your framer offer for not including one?

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

William,
    Section R703.2 of the 2012 International Residential Code requires builders to install a layer of number 15 asphalt felt or “other approved water-resistive barrier” over the studs or wall sheathing. Here is a link to the code requirement:
    http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/irc/2012/icod_irc_2012_7_sec003_par003.htm

3. davidmeiland | | #3

Tyvek or other WRB has nothing to do whether or not there is conditioned space inside the wall. It has everything to do with protecting the structure. If the framer is also installing the windows, doors, siding and trim, I'd want to know what other shortcuts he is taking.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |