GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How to bend straw bales? Are twine or wire bales better for this?

straw_Bale_Planning_123 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

Right now, I’m planning a round structure in zone 5A (western NY state, rural, frequent rains).

Books keep telling us that “you can bend straw bales” to conform to round walls.
They don’t mention any way to do this.

I tried just whomping them over a log, which seemed to deform a (wired) test bale, but not enough.

-Is there some standard method that straw bale builders can recommend?
-And which are better for bending? Twine or wire?

Our farmer/friend/supplier would like to know one we want, and I don’t know.
We plan to build with two-string bales on edge: wires parallel to the ground, and visible on each side of wall when stacked.

Help is greatly appreciated!
-Jon

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jon,
    I've never done it. However, I know how to use Google.

One web page ( http://guneskoy.org.tr/index.php?view=article&catid=68%3Ayaplan-yaplm-projeler&id=114%3Asaman-sunumu&format=pdf&option=com_content&Itemid=42 ) includes an illustration of a "template for bending straw bales to a round shape." See the top image, below. (You can click on either image to enlarge it.)

Another web page ( http://www.theyearofmud.com/2015/07/20/straw-bale-construction-basics/ ) includes a photo (lower photo below). Here's the text: "Because our workshop project is an octagon, we had some interesting corners to work with. Conveniently, we used each “corner” post as a tool to bend alternating courses of straw bales. You can use this same technique when building a round straw bale house — if you push a straw bale against a round object (like a barrel) or in a shallow, rounded trench, you can achieve the shape you want."

2. straw_Bale_Planning_123 | | #2

Thank you so much, Martin!
    Somehow my searches didn't turn up anything- I just did not think to look for advice on octagonal structures. Am coping with that newbie stress (first project), and the hay is about to come in. Yikes!

So there certainly *are* efficient ways to bend them. Working by oneself. How amazing that that template plan is from Turkey.
    Thanks for pointing out some great resources.
    -Jon

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |