GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Drywall ceiling

myoon595 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I nailed by 28 inches in the drywall ceiling because of weird joist distance.
The interval of nail is 28 inches and 20 inches..
it will be fine?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Mansig,
    First, it's always better to install drywall with screws, not nails. However, nails will work -- as long as they are ring-shank drywall nails.

Second, the maximum spacing for ceiling joists that will be covered with drywall is 24 inches. If the joist spacing is more than 24 inches, the correct solution is to strap the ceiling with well-fastened 1x4s, installed at 90 degrees to the joists. The 1x4 strapping should be installed 16 inches on center.

Third, when installing drywall on a ceiling, the fastener spacing should be 7 inches or less. That means that you need a fastener (a screw or nail) every 7 inches along each joist or furring strip.

2. myoon595 | | #2

Do I have to use 3/8inch drywall for the ceiling?
    Do I have to use the 2 by 6 for the joist ? How about 2 by 4?
    Thank you in advance.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Mansig,
    Q. "Do I have to use 3/8 inch drywall for the ceiling?"

A. No. In fact, 3/8 inch drywall would undoubtedly be the worst possible choice. For most purposes, you want to install 1/2 inch drywall. If the ceiling is part of a fire-rated assembly (for example, a garage ceiling), you would use 5/8 inch drywall.

Q. "Do I have to use the 2 by 6s for the joists? How about 2 by 4s?"

A. If you are framing the ceiling, you shouldn't be asking the question. You should hire a carpenter. Ceiling joists are rarely 2x4s. The size of the framing members depends on the span and the load above the joists. Common joist sizes are 2x8 and 2x10 -- but if the span is short, 2x4s or 2x6s would work.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |