GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

PERSIST / REMOTE door installation quandry

user-2069108 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

OK, I have decided to build a PERSIST house with a frost protected insulated slab. Now there is a good manual on REMOTE ( A very similar type of housing), but I am stuck on how to install the door, with a bridge over the the exterior insulation..Because the door is an Innie, it will sit in line with the framing on the slab perimeter, but I have to bridge that exterior insulation somehow..
Do I inset a thick PT plywood bridge in a void in the slab to keep the door at the same height as the slab floor? This would result in a very difficult air/water/vapour detail.

Steve Young

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Steve,
    There are lots of ways to handle this issue.

1. Install an outie door in an oversized rough opening, to make sure that the door can open without the wall interfering with the operation of the hinges. (For more information on this approach, see Windows and Doors in Double-Stud Walls.)

2. Plan ahead for a way to support the threshold required for an innie door. Install jamb extensions at the jambs and head.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |