GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What is the ideal choice of cladding over OSB-Sheathed SIPs?

William_Lohr | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

Hey Martin,

I find myself in a situation similar to one discussed here in the past regarding putting masonry, i.e. thin veneer, over SIPs. The original question was regarding which WRB to use. However for me, unlike the pervious poster, I have time to make course corrections. You previously said this was a “particular risky combination.” I would like to know your recommendation of cladding over SIPs if stone veneer is not a good choice.

I live in Maryland, so we get plenty of rain. Just FYI.

Thanks,
William Lohr

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Chaubenee | | #1

How about a fully ventilated rain screen with furring strips, and Hardi board siding?

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

William,
    Vinyl siding is one of the best-performing types of siding every invented (because it is well ventilated and dries quickly). Of course, some people hate the way vinyl siding looks.

If you aren't installing vinyl siding, you definitely want a ventilated rainscreen gap between your WRB and the siding. Fiber-cement lap siding (as Joe suggested) is one option. If you like natural siding, you could install a three-dimensional mesh product (like Home Slicker) and unpainted white cedar shingles.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |