GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Okay to dry out cellulose wet for 10 days to use in an attic?

michaelbluejay | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

My insulation sprayed damp cellulose into the wall cavities, scooped up the waste, and put it in about a dozen plastic trash bags so I could dry it out and use it in my attic. (I know many installers put the waste back in the machine, but he was wary of doing so because of stray nails that could damage his machine, even though I had a clean job site.)

I didn’t have a chance to dry out the insulation immediately, and plan to dry it tomorrow, day 10 after the damp cellulose was bagged. I’m concerned that damp cellulose sitting in plastic bags for 9 days means it was conducive to mold, and that I’m risking causing a problem by putting it in the attic. i don’t know whether drying it completely mitigates any mold sufficiently or not.

If it were your house, would you use the dried cellulose in your attic, or is that just lunacy?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Michael,
    Use common sense. How does the cellulose smell -- sweet and fresh (like recently dampened newsprint) or moldy?

When in doubt, throw it out. Cellulose is cheap.

2. Dana1 | | #2

If you waited for it to be completely dried out it would clump together, due the water activated adhesives.

If it's moisture content is low enough to be safe spraying it into walls, it's plenty dry enough to use in the attic RIGHT NOW, no need to wait.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |