GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Dimple board on a pre-cast concrete basement

cas4 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I just had a pre-cast basement installed that uses 8000 psi concrete. The majority of the basement is below grade. They told me that I don’t have to do any type of water proofing, but since I haven’t back-filled yet, I’m going to go ahead and do it anyways for peace of mind. I like the idea of the dimple board membrane except for the fact that you have to nail it into the wall. I don’t want to create holes in a wall that is solid! Any ideas if I can install the dimple board without nails?

Thanks in advance!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-2310254 | | #1

Be sure to read the terms of your precast warranty. Make sure adding exterior waterproofing won't void your warranty.

2. cas4 | | #2

Not sure about driving nails into the wall (which I don't want to do anyways), but applying a water proofing membrane won't void the warranty

3. user-1041981 | | #3

Andy, besides sheet products, I'd recommend considering:
    http://www.decoproducts.com/deco-20-seal/
    I used it on my forever home which is certified LEED Gold.

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Andy,
    I don't think that nails will hurt your concrete foundation. But why not call up the manufacturer and ask about their recommendations and warranty terms?

5. user-2310254 | | #5

@Andy. I can understand your anxiety about the basement system. (I installed two footer drains since there was no consensus about optimal placement.) Maybe this inspection page would be helpful: http://inspectapedia.com/structure/Pre_Cast_Concrete_Foundations.php. It at least provides some guidance on things to observe that might suggest installation problems.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |