GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How to calculate soil heating storage capacity?

patilsiddharth5 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I need to know how much heat in BTU can I store in a specific volume of a soil. I am using the underground soil of greenhouse as thermal mass storage. Right now I just know the volumetric heat capacity. But I want actual number of BTUs that I can store inside the soil. Do I need to measure the temperature variation through out the soil and then calculate the heat storage capacity?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #1

Soils differ in the specific heat, and the specific heat varies with moisture content. Most soils have a specific heat between 800 and 1500 Joules per kilogram per degree C, depending on type of soil and it's moisture content. That means, to change the temperature of a 1 kg of soil 1 degree it either absorbs or releases 800-1500 Joules.

It's really the mass (not volume) and the average temperature increase/decrease that determines the amount of energy stored/released.

2. STEPHEN SHEEHY | | #2

Dana: What would we ever do without you? You're a real Joule:-)

3. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #3

Shukriya, bhaisaab! :-)

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |