GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Rainscreen – tie into soffit at top?

ururk | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

If there is an air path to the soffit, when creating a rainscreen assembly, is it sufficient to vent the top through the soffit, or does the siding need to have an opening all along it’s top edge as well?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. charlie_sullivan | | #1

Both approaches have their advocates. The most convincing reason I've heard to avoid tying them together is that the air in the rainscreen gap can get heated by the sun on a south wall, and in the winter, that could contribute to ice dam problems if that air were brought into the attic.

2. ururk | | #2

That is reason enough to convince me not to!

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

John,
    For a discussion of the question you have raised, see All About Rainscreens.

4. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #4

John,
    It's well worth reading the article Martin linked to which is a comprehensive summary of everything you need to know. Just to flesh out the comments on rain screen venting: the cavity can not be continuous with the soffits in Canada (and similar thinking may apply in other codes) because it creates a concealed vertical space where fire can spread between the wall and roof assemblies. There are similar provisions for blocking the intersection between the two at interior soffits (or bulkheads) and holes in top plates for services. The idea being to slow the spread of a hidden fire moving undetected and unimpeded up into the roof system.

5. ururk | | #5

Martin - thanks! I missed that part about the soffits in that article.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |