GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Do I need an air exchanger?

Jerom333 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I am building a super insulated home in Massachusetts and just had my blower door test complete after the insulation was installed and registered a 0.5995 at 50 pascals and it would have been better if I had known the electricians untaped two conduits and a plumbing vent pipe was not sealed. In my spare time (nights and weekends) I completed the air sealing and my builder is an old school guy who thinks homes should breath on their own so I never expected to come close to this type of tightness. Currently the house has two Panasonic bath fans that will run continuous on the second floor, switch operated Panasonic fan in half bath on first floor and another continuously running Panasonic fan in the finished basement. Any advice on if I need an air exchanger, lunos or the not so popular passive air inlets would be very much appreciated. Brandon

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Brandon,
    Every tight home needs a mechanical ventilation system. Your home already has a mechanical ventilation system consisting of 3 Panasonic fans that operate continuously. In all probability, your home is overventilated, not underventilated -- and overventilation carries an energy penalty.

For more information, see Designing a Good Ventilation System.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |