GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Stove pipe through insulated panel

Jacob Cox | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I’m in the process of building my roof and am running into an issue while trying to figure out the best method for proper air sealing a stove pipe installation. I have installed 3 inches of Polyiso on the roof and will be putting another layer of roof sheathing (OSB) on top and I have no idea what I should do about the stove pipe. I understand what to do with the stove pipe for running through the ceiling and protecting it from spray foam, but nothing about proper flashing. I found another post where it was slightly discussed, but it isn’t the same exact application (the link references an insulated ceiling, not an insulated roof).

Here is the link: https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/green-building-techniques/59451/installing-metal-chimney-wood-stove-through-spray-fo

I am waiting on a response from ICC to see if they make an airtight flashing that can go through insulation. Does anyone know what the best method would be for flashing through foam panels and sheathing while ensuring air tightness?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Jacob Cox | | #1

I have since found these three different methods from ICC. Would one of these successfully accomplish my goal?

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Jacob,
    First of all, you can't penetrate a roof with a stove pipe. I think (and I hope) you're talking about a metal chimney, not a stove pipe. (Stove pipe is a single-wall steel pipe used to connect a wood stove or other combustion appliance with a chimney. A metal chimney is usually double-walled, with one or both pipes made of stainless steel.)

Step one is to contact the chimney manufacturer. Chimney manufacturers sell kits designed for roof penetrations and flashing. Buy such a kit and follow the manufacturer's instructions.

3. Jacob Cox | | #3

Martin,

You are correct. I just wanted to refrain from calling it a chimney so people wouldn't get the idea that it is a fully built chimney. I honestly didn't think to call it a metal chimney.

Sounds good, I will wait for ICC to contact me back and hope they have something perfect for me.

Thanks.

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Jacob,
    Your reference to ICC confused me at first. I thought that you were talking about the International Code Council, but I now realize that you are talking about the Industrial Chimney Company of St-Jérome, Québec.

5. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #5

Jacob,
    Here are two illustrations from the installation instructions that the Industrial Chimney Company (ICC) provides for its Excel chimney. (Here is the link: Excel Factory-Built Chimney Installation and Maintenance Instructions.)

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |