GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Any ideas about finishing the underside of the 3″ EPS of exterior insulation?

craigjf | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I’ve installed 3″ of Owens Corning pink board (two layers of 1.5″, seams taped and staggered as well as staggered vertically and horizontally.) I was wondering if I need to finish, seal or protect the underside. The edge is 16-18″ above grade and the two courses of exposed CMU’s will be covered with stone.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Craig,
    It's too bad that you didn't watch GBA's instructional video before you started. The time to install the metal flashing (dripedge) that protects the underside of the rigid foam is before the first piece of rigid foam is installed. In your case, it's a little late for that -- although you may be able to slip the required flashing in place, even at this late date.

Here is a link to the video which shows the piece that your forgot: How to Install Rigid Foam Insulation Outside a House.

I don't know whether you are going to install the stone veneer, or whether you have a masonry contractor who will do that work. In either case, you need a plan for the seam between your bottom course of siding and the stone veneer, and the details of this flashing need to be discussed with anyone working on the veneer and siding.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |