GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Second generation Whirlpool heat-pump clothes dryers: Any good?

ranson | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I would like to install a ventless dryer. The Whirlpool HybridCare duets are the only large ventless dryers on the market. The discontinued WED99HEDW model got a lot of good reviews. The new models don’t have many reviews yet, but the reviews they have aren’t good.

Here’s my question: Is anybody out there actively building the new models into new homes, and are you getting callbacks about their quality? Does anybody have a new model HybridCare, and has it been reliable?

–John

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. STEPHEN SHEEHY | | #1

How do the new models differ? We are very pleased with the model we installed about two years ago.
    I don't think Whirlpool did much marketing. HP dryers are especially appropriate for apartments and condos where running vents can be difficult and expensive and are often impossible to clean.

2. Anon3 | | #2

Do you really want a HVAC machine in your dryer? They all break down pretty quickly. It's basically a dehumidifier, and those don't last long if you read the reviews. some break as soon as the 1 year warranty is up.

3. josh_in_mn | | #3

You very well might want a heat pump dryer despite their higher cost and greater complexity. Dryers use an enormous amount of energy, and HP dryers cut that energy usage substantially, as well as obviating the need for a vent. On another note, HVAC equipment isn't all unreliable junk. Like anything else, a HP dryer can be built to a variety of quality levels and price points.

4. brp_nh | | #4

If your main objective is ventless, keep in mind there are other options besides heat pump models. In our case, we wanted ventless and compact, so we bought a combo washer/dryer from LG (model WM3997HWA). Overall, we've been happy with it.

5. Anon3 | | #5

If you are in a cold climate, another option to consider is regular electric dryer + Indoor Dryer Vent + erv.

6. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #6

Regular electric clothes dryers shouldn't be vented indoors. Building codes, clothes dryer manufacturers, insurance companies, and common sense dictate that these appliances much be exhausted to the exterior.

And if you have a home with high indoor humidity (because someone decided to vent the clothes dryer indoors by mistake), you wouldn't want an ERV. You'd want an HRV. Either way, it's not a good idea.

-- Martin Holladay

7. Anon3 | | #7

Yeah, vent it outside is the best idea.

8. srivenkat | | #8

To the OP and anyone else interested: I have found the below still selling the first model that has relatively good reviews. I have ordered one. Make sure to get the 10% discount using the code at the top of the page:

http://outlet.whirlpool.com/-%5BWED99HEDW%5D-5687596/WED99HEDW/

9. ranson | | #9

Venkat, where are you purchasing that? Availability seems to depend on zip code.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |