GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Are all subfloors safe for your health?

user-6474580 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

A mold remediation company put down Fiberlock IAQ 6000 (mold resistant coating) a week ago and I’ve been having throat irritation ever sense and found out there are 2 carcinogens in it. So, I’m thinking of just having the Subfloor replaced when I have the hardwood floor reinstalled. See attached pic.

I’m very sensitive to chemicals… Are certain subfloors safer than others? Thanks!

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Masb,
    It sounds like your worries have nothing to do with the subfloor -- only the coating. Here is a link to the Safety Data Sheet for Fiberlock IAQ 6000.

I've never heard of any health problems or symptoms related to the use of OSB or plywood as a subfloor. But chemical sensitivity is a tricky issue. Older homes used 1x6 or 1x8 spruce or fir boards for subflooring. If you prefer this old-fashioned approach, you can always use tongue-and-groove boards.

-- Martin Holladay

2. user-6474580 | | #2

Martin Holladay, Many thanks for your response! Yes, I've seen the Fiberlock data sheet and its 2 carcinogens have me concerned. I want to make sure I don't take the floors up just to put down something just as unhealthy. Would you agree it's safer to get rid of the chemical and put down new subfloor? If so , would you recommend OSB or plywood? I also heard about putting an aluminum vapor down on subfloors to help with any sensitivities to formaldehyde. Are you familiar with that? Thanks!

3. user-2310254 | | #3

You might want to call Fiberlock for guidance. Perhaps you can mitigate the odor issue bycoating the IAQ 6000 with IAQ 6000 GEN3, for example. The GEN3 is advertised as no VOC and might solve your problem without the expense of replacing the subfloor.

That said, I would request a sample of the GEN3 -- or any recommended product -- before applying it.

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Masb,
    I'm sorry that I can't give you any advice. The vast majority of people don't have medical symptoms due to contact with Fiberlock IAQ 6000 (once it is cured), or it wouldn't be on the market.

A minority of people, including you, have medical symptoms related to contact with materials that other people find benign. There's no way I can give you advice -- you have to test your own reactions to building materials that concern you and reach your own conclusions.

Good luck.

-- Martin Holladay

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |