GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insulation for a DIY air cooling pot

Skadeetin | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

we are building an air cooling pot from a food grade 1gal plastic bucket and need to LINE THE BUCKET with an insulator. Syrafoam is used in most cases but we would like to avoid it if there is something else available. It should be water poof as ice will melt inside the bucket. Need to be able to cut to fit easily and be very lightweight. oh–and cheap! because we’re cheap. 🙂

Thank you very kindly!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Skadeetin,
    What's an "air cooling pot"? My first guess is that it is used to cool food down, using ambient air to cool the food -- but if that were true, you certainly wouldn't want any insulation.

Maybe it's something like an ice bucket -- designed to hold a bottle of white wine and ice?

-- Martin Holladay

2. brendanalbano | | #2

Are you trying to make a "pot-in-pot refrigerator" for keeping food cool or an evaporative cooler for keeping a room or building cool?

All the waterproof insulation I can think of are foams. But you're already using a plastic bucket. What makes your plastic bucket ok but your plastic foam not ok? This might help someone come up with a type of insulator that would be acceptable to you.

Edit: as a side note, the spam filter blocked my post when I tried to link to the wikipedia pages for pot-in-pot refrigerator and evaporative cooler. Is it possible to whitelist wikipedia in the spam filter so folks can post wikipedia links?

3. Jon_R | | #3

I'd line the bucket with another bucket - then you can put whatever you want in the gap between them. Pour-able foam, perlite, etc.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |