GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Fire-resistant rainscreen system

rockies63 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I saw a thread from 2013 asking about whether the rainscreen gap behind the cladding could allow fire to move behind the wall (as from a forest fire). This product may solve the problem of closing off the gap in case of fire.

http://www.fireus.co.uk/rainscreen.html

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #1

Scott,
    That looks like a really useful product for wildfire prone areas. I wonder why they have one for "non-ventilated" rain screens? If the cavity is closed off already, why do you need the strip? I must be missing something.

2. JC72 | | #2

Sounds like a problem in search of a solution.

Rainscreens already have an insect strip which would in most cases prevent all but the smallest embers from getting inside.

It's not like embers can't make it into the roof via soffet/ridge vents.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

John,
    Certain areas in California have been designated as Wildfire Management Areas, and in some of these areas, local codes prohibit the use of ordinary soffit vents.

Several manufacturers have come up with special soffit vents to serve a demand for products that comply with wildfire restrictions, including these:

Vulcan Vent

GAF EmberShield soffit vent

4. user-6184358 | | #4

Hi, there is also
    Brandguard and O'Hagin Attic Vents. Just to make the list complete. San Diego County has requirements that exceed the state requirements urban wildland fire interface zone

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |