GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

One more PEX (safety) question!

Tommy87 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

Hello,

I’ve been reading over information regarding the safety of PEX for the last few days. It’s safe to say, there is a lot of uncertainty and varied opinions on which type of PEX to use.

I have read over some of the posts here on GBA but am still not sure which to go with.

Several users have mentioned a weird taste in their water when using PEX A and that PEX B is the safest in regards to chemical leaching. One reviewer stated: “A-type PEX leaches 50-200% more chemicals into the water”.

Hard to believe with no scientific data but I wanted to hear a few more opinions on which to go with A or B? And also, is there perhaps a brand or manufacturer that makes quality PEX (or perhaps advertises as less toxic)?

On a side note – are there any important steps I should know about before installing PEX? I’ve read about some issues with fittings.

Thanks!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |