GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What is the current best option for “safe” interior paint?

mrdog | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I am currently looking for a safe paint to use in my new house. I have found that the smell of paint is one of the biggest “triggers” I have and it really affects me. There are a lot of low VOC products out there, but I know VOCs are not the only thing to worry about and there are other noxious ingredients in paint not to mention the false marketing claims.

Is there a current undisputed champion when it comes to safe extremely low off gassing safe paint. I want to paint a wall and not smell a thing. The only thing I have found that comes close is Milk Paint, but I really dont like that look.

What about sealing it with something like NanoTech by earthpaint or another product?

Thanks for any help.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-2310254 | | #1

I painted my house with ROMABIO Potassium Silicate Paints. It has no odor and is very durable.

2. Expert Member
    ARMANDO COBO | | #2

Yolo Colorhouse and Benjamin Moore's Natura are fairly common solutions to healthy paints on our jobs. Sherwin Williams have Harmony brand, but I haven't specified before.

3. user-2310254 | | #3

Mr. Dog,

It's always a good idea to order a sample and test it before proceeding. Everyone's sensitivities are different and you don't want to buy a bunch of very expensive paint without a little hand-on research.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |