GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

3M tapes

canadianexpy | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

Hi

Wanted to know if anybody has used 3M Air and Vapour Barrier 3015 Tape for taping up OSB seams?

I know 3Mâ„¢ All Weather Flashing Tape 8067 has been recommended on this site. My local lumber yard doesn’t carry 8067 and recommended the 3015.

I couldn’t find much to compare the two, they both seem to do similar things although 8067 seems to be sold more as a waterproof flashing where as the 3015 is a moisture and air barrier.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
Zone 6 Ontario

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    Michael Maines | | #1

3M 3015 is available only in wider widths than you would want for taping seams. It's more comparable to Grace Vycor or Extoseal Encors. Are you sure they didn't mention a different product number?

2. canadianexpy | | #2

3M says it offers it in 4" and 6" widths (tape), they also have rolls for full coverage of walls. I'm just looking at the tape.
    The only other products they offered was Blue Tuck Tape ( SHEATHING TAPE FOR PE VAPOR BARRIER) and Tyvek seam tape.
    I don't think they are use to someone taping the OSB, as an air barrier.
    Still unsure which would be better??

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Dave,
    If you are taping the seams of your OSB sheathing because you want to reduce air leakage through your building envelope, you want the tape to last at least 50 years. Don't rush into this decision.

If you have to order the right tape online, and it takes three days for the tape to be delivered, it's better to wait for the right tape than to install tape that will fail.

I haven't tested 3M 2015 tape, but I have tested housewrap tape (known as Tuck Tape in Canada) on OSB, and it didn't last. If you can't get Siga Wigluv or 3M All Weather tape (the two best-performing tapes in my test), you can use Zip System tape, which also worked well.

For more information, see Return to the Backyard Tape Test.

4. canadianexpy | | #4

No rush, that is why I am asking now, if anyone has used 3M 3015 for OSB taping.
    I will order online and have time , footings are not starting for a week or 2.
    I had not heard or read anything about this 3015 tape, until the yard guy offered it.

I did read the backyard test and wanted the 3M tape, it's price is cheaper than the Siga and both seem to do well on OSB.

Thanks again Martin

5. fourforhome | | #5

Martin, On the Backyard tape test, the 3M All Weather did not perform well on the OSB. In the Return to the Backyard tape test 10 mos later, the 3M did perform well.
    1. What happened along the way that the 3M started to perform so well?
    2. Would primer make it better from the start?
    3. Is there a cheaper but decent performing primer than Dockskin?

6. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #6

Mark,
    My backyard testing used a "construction site" approach to testing protocols. It was unscientific.

As I reported in my article, Return to the Backyard Tape Test, "a few tapes even seem to have gotten more tenacious as time has passed."

While the 3M All Weather Flashing Tape was able to be peeled off of some substrates without too much force early on, the tape, if left undisturbed, developed a more tenacious bond over time. This is apparently a characteristic of acrylic adhesives, which can in some cases take time to develop full bonding strength.

I don't know the answer to your questions about primers. It would be great if you did a primer test, and reported your results to the GBA community.

1. kevinjm4 | | #8

I believe this was addressed elsewhere but in regards to rigid foam...

What’s the ideal width when sealing plywood joints with 8067... I think you don’t want to be too wide or too narrow, narrow enough to allow substrate to breathe, but wide enough for seal of joint. Am I on the right track with going for a 2” 8067 opposed to 3 or 4”?

1. Trevor_Lambert | | #9

I doubt that covering up 2" vs 1" of the edge of a plywood sheet is going to matter much for drying purposes. But 2" is more than enough to do the job, so at best 4" is a waste of money.

7. user-6811621 | | #7

check online at R.S. Hughes for 3M 8067 tape. Their prices are very good and they may ship to Canada.

8. Ivan_Bar | | #10

Reviving the old thread. I recently came across this exact dilemma. This is what I got from the distributor in Saskatoon.

1. OronoWoodworks | | #11

Can confirm that 3m directly told me the same. I have also been told that 3m makes zip tape. These are all likely the same acrylic tape.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |