GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

AgePan with WRB

sbabcock61 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

Our new house has AgePan on the exterior walls

It in the process of being covered with a WRB (Tyvek) prior to being strapped for siding

1. Do I require a WRB ?

2. Will the installed WRB case any problems with the AgeaAn / wall assembly.? Specifically I’m thinking about water vapor escape.

Steve

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Steve,
    As far as I know, Agepan acts as sheathing (while also providing R-value). However, I don't think that Agepan is an approved water-resistive barrier (WRB).

Building codes in the U.S. require, and building experts recommend, that every wall have a WRB. Tyvek will work fine.

Almost all housewraps (including Tyvek) are vapor-permeable. A layer of housewrap will not trap moisture.

All of this said, I urge you to follow the installation instructions provided by Agepan, as long as those instructions are consistent with U.S. building codes.

Here is a link to an article with more information: All About Water-Resistive Barriers.

2. sbabcock61 | | #2

Thanks for the replay and Link

The AgePan site has little information regarding WRB. on top of their product

Typically Ontario building code requires a WRB which is why we went this route and most building inspectors want to see it

3. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #3

According to their hype:

"Agepan is water-resistant throughout, meaning that with the use of a
    rainscreen, no additional water-resistant barrier is needed on the exterior"

"Agepan also differs from many other products that
    perform just one function; it can provide a thermal break,
    an integrated weather-resistive barrier (including air
    barrier), and a base for installation of a rainscreen and
    cladding all in one."

4. sbabcock61 | | #4

I guess things bring me back to #2 of my original question - any problem with leaving the Tyvek on top of the AgePan ?

5. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #5

I've seen it used in Scotland with open-joint siding and no additional WRB. Not something I'd be comfortable doing, but evidently architects there are.

6. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #6

Steve,
    No problem and a definite benefit. The Tyvek will allow you to use conventional lapped flashing at openings and changes in siding materials, rather than relying on tape at those joints.

7. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #7

Steve,
    Building inspectors may want to see a WRB. I'm not sure whether Agepan has been tested by the ICC Evaluation Service, a necessary step in North America (usually) to have a product certified as a WRB.

So I suggest that you go with the Tyvek.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |