GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

EPDM Gasketed Joints vs Cement “Welded” PVC Joints for Flue Gases

gordy_b | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I’m interested in warranty/service life of EPDM gasketed joints (in PVC or polypropylene) vs that of PVC cemented (chemically welded) joints. Am installing a furnace and would like to use polypropylene for the combustion air/vent pipes ’cause in many environmental impact categories the material itself is superior to PVC. Further, I guess I believe PVC bought at a big-box store by my HVAC contractor might not be designed specifically for HVAC venting. Centrotherm’s Innoflue and DuraVent’s PolyPro polypropylene HVAC venting products are designed from the ground up for this and are OKd by name in the furnace’s install instructions. Both use gasketed joints, not chemically welded joints.

Each is only warrantied 10 years, at least some gaskets deteriorate, so I’m thinking PVC cemented joints will last longer but don’t know. So I’ve looked for cemented PVC joint warranties to compare but think it’s not treated like a system – liquid cement shelf-life is warrantied, PVC supposedly lasts 50+ years, but I’ve found no warranties or data on average service life of the joints. I’d be more comfortable if this were a water application but don’t want to chance carbon monoxide leaks at joints.

Does anyone know if cemented (welded) PVC pipes are WARRANTIED and for how long? This would provide a direct comparison to the 10 years of confidence in the gasketed joints.

Failing warranty info, does anyone have anecdotal or, better, research- or certification/specification-based estimates of the SERVICE LIFE of EPDM gaskets (in polypropylene or PVC joints)? Or that of traditional PVC/cemented (welded) joints?

Thanks.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. gordy_b | | #1

Oops. These pipes will be installed in a condo in zone 5a. The pipes will run up two stories and the terminations will be on the roof.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |