Safe'n'Sound R-0 (?) vs Comfortbatt R-15 for Interior 2x4 Walls only

Safe'n'sound vs Comfortbatt
R-? (Not rated) vs R-15
3" thick vs 3.5" thick
estimated cost per sq ft: $0.80 vs $0.77

I read somewhere that Safe'n'Sound is denser and better at sound insulating.Which I like the sound of. :) But my mind says "What about that last 1/2" that Safe'n'Sound doesn't fill? I think it ought to be filled. And why can't someone (or has someone) tested the R-value of the Safe'n'Sound? I should just go with the Comfortbatt..it was easy enough to install...

Any opinions? (wink wink)....Thanks in advance.

Asked by Inger Peters
Posted Jun 6, 2018 4:19 PM ET

1.

According to Rockwool's website "Interior insulation products do not require an R-value and as such, we do not brand our interior insulation with this information. " If it's strictly being used for sound control, it makes sense to use the product designed specifically for that application. My guess would be the additional 1/2" didn't provide enough of a benefit to be worth the additional material, so they saved on material costs instead. Or perhaps the batt is the same as a ComfortBatt just compressed denser, leading to a thinner batt out of the same material. But I'm just pulling this out of thin air, so take it with a McDonalds-worthy amount of salt.

Answered by Yupster
Posted Jun 6, 2018 4:37 PM ET

2.

Inger,
It would certainly be possible for a lab to determine the R-value of Safe'n'Sound. It hasn't happened because the manufacturer (Rockwool, formerly Roxul) doesn't want to pay for the testing.

If you are installing this product in a partition for soundproofing, why do you care about R-value?

Posted Jun 6, 2018 4:38 PM ET

3.

If it's being used for soundproofing you do NOT want the extra 0.5" filled.

That is because when the fiber is in direct contact with the wallboard on both sides it increases the mechanical coupling between the sides, transferring the sound vibration picked up by one sheet of wallboard and transferring some of that energy to the other wallboard. With even a tiny air gap that path goes away- the sound has to travel through the air gap first.

At comparable density it's R value will have about the same R/inch. For rock wool that is about R4.3/inch, so at 3" you'd get ~R13 or maybe a bit less compared to R15 @ 3.5". But if there is an air gap the potential convective bypass around the batt can cut into thermal performance, which is why you DO want the cavity completely filled if it's for insulation rather than sound abatement.

Posted Jun 6, 2018 5:07 PM ET

4.

I would like to install a product that does both well. I will have mini-split heads in several rooms so the insulation value was in part to help control temps and secondly to control sound. Thanks!

Answered by Inger Peters
Posted Jun 6, 2018 5:29 PM ET

5.

Even with some amount of thermal bypass channel the R13-ish batts will be providing quite a bit of temperature zone isolation. It would be difficult to accurately measure the difference in thermal performance between R13 and R15 even at room to room temperature differences of 40F or greater.

Posted Jun 6, 2018 6:17 PM ET

Plumbing too close to edge of slab

In Project management | Asked by Hugh Stearns | Jun 18, 18

Do I need an HRV/ERV for a house built in 1947?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Will82 | Jun 14, 18

Building code requirements for stacked window headers, bracing, and stucco over foam

In Building Code Questions | Asked by Zane Bridgers | Jun 17, 18

Brick house insulation

In Green building techniques | Asked by Sebastian Smith | Dec 29, 17

HVAC duct size versus grille size

In Mechanicals | Asked by Richt1022 | Jun 18, 18