Can OSB be recycled/burnt?

I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this. What can I do with the leftover offcuts of OSB besides adding them to the dumpster? It seems like the offcuts are strictly cradle-to-grave at the moment... Thanks

Asked by Andrea Cordonier
Posted Apr 12, 2010 9:51 AM ET

1.

Andrea,
According to the Forest News — Georgia Forest Watch Quarterly Newsletter, Winter 2009, "the Georgia Environmental Protection Division and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency do have regulations already in place to prohibit burning of OSB (oriented strand board, widely used in commercial and home construction industries,) and other types of treated wood waste."

Here's the link:
http://www.gafw.org/newsletters/2009winter_newsletter.pdf

But here's some food for thought — posted by an anonymous person with the nickname "Deutzman":
"I work at an OSB mill and we send all our dust to an outfit that makes wood pellets. That dust has wax and resin in it just like the board." So when you buy wood pellets for your pellet stove, you may be burning the same stuff. Deutzman's comment was posted here:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=2099853

Posted Apr 12, 2010 10:40 AM ET

2.

Some of the "Green Builders" in North Texas chop up their waste wood (including OSB) in a wood chipper and use it as mulch for the landscape.

I really do not know it this is a good practice or NOT?
I am curious myself.

Answered by John Brooks
Posted Apr 12, 2010 1:17 PM ET

3.

As a long-time green builder, health advocate and firefighter, I can say definitively that no engineered wood materials or wood materials with any kind of treatment or finish should be burned.

That's one of many excellent reasons to avoid the use of engineered or manufactured wood products like OSB (which is the worst wood panel material on many levels). I build with native lumber, some KD lumber and rough-sawn boards for sheathing, roof decking and subflooring. All scraps can be safely "recycled" in my woodstove or hot tub stove.

Natural materials return safely to nature. Almost all man-made materials are problematic at every stage of their life cycle.

Answered by Riversong
Posted Apr 12, 2010 7:09 PM ET

4.

Regarding John Brooks' observation about landscape mulch, the topic is covered in an APA publication that references several studies, one of which is a comprehensive University of Georgia study.

http://www.apawood.org/pdfs/managed/TT-098.pdf?CFID=9924939&CFTOKEN=1713...

Answered by Tom Kositzky
Posted Apr 16, 2010 1:55 PM ET

Insulating conventional corner

In GBA Pro help | Asked by kevek101 | Jul 19, 18

N.Y. Times article on dealing with heat wave

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Alan B | Jul 16, 18

Hybrid insulation: rockwool + foam board (and canned foam for airtightness and extra R-value)

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by NewHomeOwner95 | Jul 20, 18

Is it necessary to insulate the ground in a Zone 5B crawlspace?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by KevinEJ | Jul 19, 18

Ventilation Baffles over Lean-to?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Dylan Hillman | Jul 20, 18