GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Helix as rebar/mesh replacement

eyremountllc | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I am considering trying out adding Helix (steel fiber) into concrete and do away with rebars.

Any experience with this positive or negative in slab applications and ICF wall applications?

Thanks in advance.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Riversong | | #1

If considering for ICF application, I would consult with the ICF manufacturer to make sure it will meet their structural requirements.

For a slab, I would check with an engineer, but would still use short polyester fiber for plastic shrinkage crack control.

Helix sounds as if it would add tensile strength and crack-resistance to concrete, but I would be concerned about the longevity of such thin steel.

2. Riversong | | #2

Also, the one function of rebar in a concrete wall that Helix cannot duplicate is the ability to tie the wall to the footing and create a continuity of tensile resistance, or to resist horizontal displacement, uplift and overturning forces.

3. eyremountllc | | #3

Thanks. I agree Helix may not be able to replace the rebar's ability to tie the wall to the footing.

Thanks

4. Amcclennan | | #4

What if you have vertical rebar in the footing to tie it to the wa, then use helix in the wall. Do you need horizontal rebar in the wall? Thanks!

5. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #5

Alec,
    Unfortunately that's not a call you can make. The reinforcement is dictated by the engineer designing your project.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |