GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Dow has a new pink air sealing spray that is applied to each stud/exterior wall connection as well as top and bottom plates

KHibbs | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I understand Dow has a new pink air sealing spray that is applied to each stud/exterior wall connection as well as top and bottom plates. Has anyone used it? Thoughts? Are their any other products that might offer the same performance that are recommended?

I do a thorough caulk/seal package prior to insulation, but have never done each individual stud. I’d like to hear thoughts on the pros and cons of the practice.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. albertrooks | | #1

I think your talking about Dow Energy Complete. I know one Passivhaus project in the SF Bay area. The project was sprayed but it did not meet the 0.6 ACH50 requirement. Not that the system is bad, just new and requires some operator leaning.

In the end they taped the exterior seams of the plywood and did pass the blower door test.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of foam or caulking for air sealing. As the structure dry's and moves, it seems to me that the filled gaps can and will open up. Taping the exterior sheathing with a good quality tape is probably faster, higher quality and less expensive than foam and an operator.

2. jklingel | | #2

Tape AND goo, plus interior air barrier, no? As long as they are vapor open, why not?

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

The Energy Complete system comes from Owens Corning, not Dow.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |