GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Drywall questions — I’m chemically sensitive

user-831496 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I am building a home and we are getting information on drywall. I am chemically sensitive and am very concerned that the product be as non-toxic as possible. We would like to use 5/8″ sheet rock but I am being told that all 5/8 is treated with a fire retardant material. Is that true? One company told me that 5/8 is inherently flame retardant while two others say there are additives to accomplish this. I am also wondering about the fly ash products from a health standpoint. After this the joint compounds are my next concern. Any information would be appreciated.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Arlene,
    Fly ash is not used to make gypsum wallboard. For more information, see http://www.buildinggreen.com/auth/article.cfm/2010/7/30/Synthetic-Gypsum/ .

2. user-869687 | | #2

Arlene,

The extra ingredient in 5/8" type X drywall is glass fiber, which helps hold the gypsum together in a fire. Type C drywall adds vermiculite, which makes the panel dimensionally stable as moisture boils out during a fire. I'd guess that neither of these materials would be much concern for chemical sensitivity.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |