GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Mason Greenstar Blox?

user-795783 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

For the last year or so, I’ve been planning construction of an ICF home in the Lubbock Texas area. I got sidetracked for awhile but I am getting geared up again to finish the design. I’ve not entirely settled on ICFs and recently came across another option – Greenstar Blox (lightweight adobe blocks made from “recycled short-fiber cellulose, portland cement, water, and an organic curing agent ad-mixture”).

They are located in Mason Texas and here’s the link to their website: http://www.masongreenstar.com/

Does anyone have any experience with this block?

This block claims R3.2 per inch. Any issues with that claim?

How do you think this product compares to ICF? In choosing ICF I was looking for strength (tornadoes are a threat in this area), a quiet home, and energy efficiency. Cost of construction is definitely a factor but, some premium over wood frame is doable.

If I go ICF, I will brick the exterior. An adobe style house with stucco exterior is also appealing. I just discovered a house in town that is being built with the adobe Greenstar Blox and so I will be following that construction closely.

Any thoughts on the Greenstar Blox or other alternatives to ICF would be appreciated.

Thanks,

DC

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-995931 | | #1

It doesn't look like and apples to apples comparison. I only skimmed their website, but it appears that the Greenstar Blox are non-structural (much like the brick veneer you propose on the exterior of your home) - as seen in their FAQ, #7.
    As far as tornado resistance, you'll probably not do any better than the concrete wall that you wind up with in ICF construction.

2. user-795783 | | #2

They are definitely structural. I went by the house under construction earlier today and snapped a few photos. The blocks look like concrete but are very light weight. I can easily pick one up with just my forefinger and thumb.

DC

3. user-795783 | | #3

I did some research and found that these blocks are a type of papercrete. They claim 3,000 PSI strength. I picked up a scrap piece from the job site this morning and put it into a bucket of water. It floated at first, then eventually sank but so far is not deteriorating.

Would still like to hear from the experts regarding their thoughts of this product.

DC

4. zS4frZGEjP | | #4

dc I see this is an old thread almost a year old. I have been looking at these blocks but wanting to see some real world examples of them. Can you point me to this house here in Lubbock. I know of one at buffalo springs lake near up top on the north side. But it is smaller and would not fit in other places within the city.

5. user-795783 | | #5

Hey Mike. I never really knew the address of this house, I just went by a couple of times when it was first under construction and now I've forgotten exactly where it is. Given all the construction in the area, I couldn't find it the last time I made a quick drive by to see the finished product. However, I know someone who might remember the location. I'll check with him and post back in the next day or so.

DC

6. zS4frZGEjP | | #6

Thanks Hopefully you can find it. I have also left a message for Mason Greenstar as they may be able to point me in the direction of it. I am guessing you did not build with it? What did you end up doing?

7. user-795783 | | #7

I have another guy trying to remember where it was as well. I have not built yet. Got sidetracked thinking I might move from Lubbock. Still trying to find a location for the house. Still liking the idea of ICFs if I stay in Lubbock but the only guy building them wants too much of a premium over conventional. Research I did shows the price nationally to be much closer to conventional built than his costs so I'm currently disappointed.

DC

8. user-795783 | | #8

Mike, I finally remembered where it was so I drove by today to get you an address. It is in the Orchard Park subdivision just off of South Quaker. Address is 4004 110th.

DC

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |