GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Subfloor insulation material?

user-894335 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I am building a new house and plan to use Green Fiber cellulose for wall (dense packed) and attic floor (loose) insulation. I was told that cellulose does not work for subfloor insulation. We have raised foundation with 2′ vented crawl space in California.

I don’t mind using fiberglass in closed cavity walls and plan to use it for interior walls for sound barrier. However, I prefer not to use fiberglass for subfloor insulation. Is there any other alternative?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Rian,
    Some crawl spaces are damp. For that reason, I suggest that you install rigid polyisocyanurate insulation on the underside of your floor joists. Do a good job of air-sealing the polyiso seams, as well as the perimeter of the insulation.

If you feel confident that your crawl space will be dry, you could install dense-packed cellulose in the joist bays above the polyiso. However, since most floor joists include plumbing pipes (with their periodic leaks), there is a certain logic to skipping the cellulose and sticking with polyiso.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |