GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Bonded Logic insulation products

Behealthy | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

Is anyone aware of any health issues that have been reported with the use of the Bonded Logic cotton insulation products? This is the insulation made from blue jeans (and thus, is blue in color). I had read something a long time ago and can’t seem to reference it. We are looking for a formaldehyde free, low, or no, VOC exterior duct wrap for the attic HVAC systems. I am guessing that Johns Manville Formaldehyde-free duct wrap would be a good choice but wanted to look at non-fiberglass as well. Thanks.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jas,
    I haven't heard of any health issues related to the use of cotton insulation batts.

Cotton batts would be a poor choice for insulating ducts that are outside of a home's thermal envelope, because the insulation is air-permeable and vapor-permeable, and because it is not sold with a vapor barrier. If the ducts are used for cooling during the summer, you'll get lots of condensation on the ducts unless you use duct insulation with a vapor barrier.

Johns Manville duct wrap would be a better choice.

2. Behealthy | | #2

I'm sorry - I should have clarified. Talking about the Superior R-8 cotton insulating duct wrap. The product material is supplied by Bonded Logic but the product is not manufactured by them. Ever heard of it? Saw it on BuildingGreen.com.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Jas,
    Now I understand -- you are referring to a product manufactured by Payless Insulation of Houston. I reviewed these ducts in the December 2004 issue of Energy Design Update: "Marketing materials from Payless Insulation describes R-8 Superior Air Ducts as 'semi-flex' ducts. The ducts incorporate insulation made from 100% cotton wrapped with a reflective Mylar jacket. Superior Air Ducts are available in diameters ranging from 2 inches to 20 inches, in three different lengths (10, 15, or 25 feet)."

Because these ducts include a Mylar vapor barrier, there is no reason to believe they won't perform well.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |