GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Where to put my Indoor Air Quality $$?

BryanA99 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

Hi,

We’re building what we hope to be a reasonably air tight and energy efficient home in Zone 4. We’ll be using some type ventilation, but want to minimize the amount of pollutants introduced in all the new materials. However, we’re not sure where we would get the biggest impact for our money.

I’m having a hard time finding any solid recommendations for prioritizing. Any help would be appreciated. Low VOC paint is already planned.

Some of the areas we are considering…

– I Joists (2 level house + basement)
– Subfloor (not sure yet what product is planned)
– Kitchen cabinets (10’x11′ kitchen area, $3500 upcharge)
– Adhesives / caulking / thinset /sealants/ etc.
– Hardwood floor sealant (all 1st floor)
– Other Cabinets/shelves (perhaps 20 linear feet)
– Interior Doors

Thanks much!
Bryan

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Bryan,
    We can't really assess your plans without more information. For example, "Kitchen cabinets (10'x11' kitchen area, $3500 upcharge)."

$3,500 upcharge for what? What's Plan A and what's Plan B?

Avoiding formaldehyde isn't necessarily expensive. You can install open shelves made of 2x12 lumber on unpainted steel L-brackets if all you want to do is avoid formaldehyde.

2. BryanA99 | | #2

MHOLLADAY-
    Thanks for the feedback. Here is some more info.

I'm awaiting info from the builder on what products he uses and if they are specifically low VOC and either CARB compliant for low urea-formaldehyde (u-f from now on!), or "no added" u-f. Many products don't state anything about VOC or u-f and we're calling and asking with limited success.

In the meantime, I am trying to get a sense for where one would get the largest positive impact. Everything I read rattles off a list of possible sources of VOC / u-f. For example...typical subflooring contains some amount and the recommendation is not to use subflooring with u-f. Subflooring is a large volume of wood with unknown outgassing characteristics (to me anyway). Something like a low VOC floor sealant will have a modest cost and therefore is a no brainer. Asking the builder to have all the subs replace all sealants, caulks, adhesives, etc. may cost more just because they don't do this. So...I was looking for some high level impressions on where to put my efforts and dollars. Clearly if we can do it all, we will. Like you said, building a simple shelf and avoiding plywood or MDF is easy, but we will of course need to balance out what is practical.

So more on each. I'm assuming some cost premium to move to low VOC and low/no added u-f...

- I Joists& Subfloors - Dont' know what they are made of yet, let's just assume they are made out of whatever is the standard product when folks suggest removing u-f from building components. Assuming a cost to move to low/no u-f
    - Kitchen cabinets - 10'x11' kitchen area, $3500 upcharge to go from no claim of low VOC but yes CARB compliant to no added u-f and low VOC stains )
    - Adhesives / caulking / thinset /sealants/ etc - Go from no claim of low VOC to low VOC.
    - Hardwood floor sealant (all 1st floor) - Go from no claim of low VOC to low VOC.
    - Other Cabinets/shelves - Going from a plywood/MDF/particle board cocktail to either solid wood, or low u-f product.
    - Interior doors - Possibly extra $2k for either CARB compliant or no added u-f.

I wish I could share better cost info, but not there yet and want to have some opinions / priority as we do our research and make decisions. Thanks for the feedback and good questions.

-Bryan

3. BryanA99 | | #3

For anyone interested...

We found that the builder is using OSB Gold for the subfloor and I Joists from the same manufacturer. Both are no-added u-f and CARB compliant.

The kitchen cabinet maker recently switched to low VOC stains and CARB compliant wood. This is good enough for us.

The builder tells us that all the caulk, adhesives, etc. are low VOC. (Will keep an eye out on this!)

We're still considering options for the hardwood floors. Waiting to hear if what they already use meets the regs from the northern part of the state (VA).

Interior door....haven't decided if the additional charge is worth the money.

Thanks
    Bryan

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |