GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

PV shingles?

dankolbert | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I have a client who is interested in PV shingles. Not sure why, but I told him I’d look into it. Has anyone used any product recently? Pros & cons? The obvious con seems to be repairs and damage.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-270695 | | #1

Here is a link to our blog which provides an overview of the SunEnergy PV shingle:
    http://www.posthandyman.com/2011/11/low-profile-solar-installations-please-community-associations/
    I was happy with the product and installation, and a redundant underlayment system is required and necessary for fire code and weather resistance.

I have a Certainteed PV shingle project coming up, but have not experienced their product yet.

2. wjrobinson | | #2

Dan, the absolute basics;

One pro- Your customer will get PV that looks more like shingles and less like a standard PV array.

One con- all all other variables favor standard panels.

So ask your client if they want the look as that is all you need to know. If yes, put em on.

For me, never.

3. wjrobinson | | #3

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |