Magic Window Innovations and Thermal Blinds

Does anyone have experience with a window manufacturer in Toronto named Magic Window Innovations? Do their claims of energy efficiency have much merit, including the use of thermal blinds, or are they guilty of green-washing as well?

www.magicwindow.ca

Asked by Logan Lacelle

1.

Logan,
I see the web site, but I'm not sure what claims you are referring to. Do you have a specific question, or are you just promoting the link?

2.

They are PVC, which isn't green, and they have that Don Cherry , who thinks cyclists are Pinkos, as their spokesman. That's a deal breaker for me.

Answered by Lloyd Alter

3.

I'm not promoting their website. They're promoting dual-pane glass in lieu of triple glazing. They say with their dual pane windows, they allow maximum sunlight in during the day, but at night, they install a thermal blind to lower the U-factor, reducing heat loss.

As for Don Cherry, his suits are legendary.

Answered by Logan Lacelle

4.

The existence of that guy is an affront to the legacy of the real Don Cherry, the late jazz musician who played with Ornette Coleman and Albert Ayler. I urge you to boycott this company until that jerk changes his name. Windows will wear out or break, but the insane music produced within the 20th Century will last for generations, so don't be a sucker. I thank you.

Answered by Minneapolis Disaster, 6B

5.

Logan, Check out heatsavershades.com. My belief is that if you have reasonably good condition windows the better investment is to truly insulate the glass rather than replace it. The website shows an R-5 insulating value for the slider. I assume that's with the "thermal blind" which is not explained very well. Web folks - why so difficult to edit here? The only thing I can do to correct is backspace. Had to do a bunch of erase/re-enter rather than left arrow to typo and retype one letter.

Answered by Stan Kuhn

6.

Logan, please do check rugsandblinds if you want any information about window blinds. You can get detailed information here.

Answered by Peyton George

7.

Logan, to see if their claims have merit, please by-pass the manufacturer marketing hype and take a look at their specs here. http://search.nfrc.org/search/searchdefault.aspx I'm not impressed by the SHGC but it may fit your needs.

Answered by Marc Labrie

8.

From my understanding, Magic Windows are extremely energy efficient because their screens and blinds allow you to change the VT, SHGC, and UFactor- which obviously is important for climates that have changing temperatures or that experience extreme heat (summer) and extreme cold (winter) i.e. Toronto.

Answered by Chase Wiliams

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jeff Lever | Jul 29, 14
In Plans Review | Asked by Joshua Wyatt | Jul 28, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Andrew Robinson | Jun 10, 14
In Green building techniques | Asked by Keith Richtman | Jul 29, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by david chinn | Jul 27, 14