Experience with "Drain Plane"?

Has anyone had experience with Drain Plane, a recycled-plastic, vertically-applied furring strip by G.B. Williams that is sold for use in rain screen assemblies? (http://www.drain-plane.com) I wonder if it could be used over foam sheathing in place of 1x4s. Any comments welcome.

Asked by Gordon Taylor

1.

Gordon,
I'm not familiar with it. But I can't think of any reason to prefer it to 1x4s, unless it is cheaper.

2.

I am also not familiar with it, but I do see it being a benefit for the trim & corner board areas which are not typically part of the rain screed / vented detail. The one downside I see to using them in the field with foam is needing the nails holding the siding having to be driven through everything & hitting the studs

Answered by Sean @ SLS

3.

To Sean: That's what I was wondering about too. With 1x4s, the board is screwed through the foam to the studs, and the siding is attached directly to the 1x4s, correct? It doesn't seem likely that this plastic spacer would have the nail-holding power of actual wood. On the other hand, in attaching siding to ICF blocks, the siding is attached to plastic webs embedded in the foam, and I'm not aware that there's any question about that arrangement. This seems analogous. To Martin: the Drain Plane website does tout the product's inexpensive price. To which I would add that its uniformity and straightness would be a plus. Also, it seems like a decent use for recycled plastic.

Answered by Gordon Taylor

4.

Gordon: according to their specs it does say you need to account for the 1/4" thickness when nailing the siding
Unless you are using specialized screws that can handle the shear load, most furring strips are attached with nails - I generallyrecommendd a combination so you have the pullout factor covered which nails don't really excel at
We don't have to many ICF buildings around here (though they are starting to pick up traction) and in AZ it was mostly stucco, but I always recall seeing furring strips or brick ties being used for other materials - I don't recall ever seeing any product being directly applied to the ICF's. With that said, in those cases they actually used special screws & the web was thick enough / designed to hold the screws unless someone stripped it out

Answered by Sean @ SLS

5.

Sean,
I disagree with your statement, "Most furring strips are attached with nails." I think it is far more common for furring strips to be attached with screws, especially when there is a thick layer of exterior rigid foam.

For more information, see Fastening Furring Strips to a Foam-Sheathed Wall.

6.

Good catch Martin, I also disagree with my statement in that case - sorry I don't know why I flipped back to no foam....

Answered by Sean @ SLS

Mold in crawlspace

In GBA Pro help | Asked by weldon jones | Oct 21, 14

Interior insulated cornice for use under low-heel roof trusses?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Albert Russell | Oct 21, 14

Rising power plant energy cost

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Terry Lee | Oct 15, 14

Curbless shower with a PVC liner -- how to terminate the liner at the floor?

In General questions | Asked by john walls | Oct 19, 14

Thermal energy storage

In Green building techniques | Asked by Jim Pancanke | Oct 21, 14