0 Helpful?

Cross Laminated Timber anywhere?

Hi there
Is anybody aware of a US or Canadian manufacturer (not an importer) of cross laminated timber panels? We would love to use them on a few apartment buildings...

Asked by user-971748
Posted Jun 15, 2012 4:40 PM ET
Edited Jun 15, 2012 4:41 PM ET


8 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.


All Canadians that I know of - there are some folks in Idaho who are close to being able to manufacture, but I don't know status and if that's an exposed panel, or if it's industrial grade finish.

Structurlam (BC)
CST Innovations (BC)
Nordic Engineered Wood (QC)

Answered by user-945928
Posted Jun 15, 2012 5:55 PM ET

Answered by homedesign
Posted Jun 15, 2012 6:05 PM ET


You might have some luck at :

Answered by user-1132906
Posted Jun 16, 2012 7:37 PM ET


Reposted here for posterity from my JLC posting:

Nordic Wood Products in Quebec is now fabricating CLT on the East Coast, they call it X-Lam. We've used a lot of Nordic products in the past, their black spruce glu-lams are great for a local east coast source, and much lighter in color than the typical doug fir glu-lams from the West Coast. I heard rough estimates of ~$20 per cubic foot of material for X-Lam a bit ago.


More links for those interested, it doesn't seem particularly applicable to replace 2x residential construction, but really interesting light commercial steel / concrete hybrid construction:

Here's a good slideshow of what it looks like in the field: http://www.slideshare.net/alaindesal...-by-liam-dewar

Some more links from Canada: http://www.fpinnovations.ca/en_clt_factsheet.htm

Answered by KTA
Posted Jun 18, 2012 2:05 PM ET
Edited Jun 18, 2012 2:06 PM ET.



Contact Jean-Marc Dubois, he's the northeast sales manager for Nordic out of Albany: jmdubois@nordicewp.com

Answered by KTA
Posted Jun 18, 2012 2:11 PM ET


I work for Structurlam Sam, we have an office in California and we do manufacture with much expertise in building with CLT. Our design guide: http://www.structurlam.com/product/cross-laminated-timber.php. Contact Kris Spickler in CA, Tel. 916-797-5588 or Colin Chornohus in Vancouver, Tel: 604-455-0709.

Answered by Qm22DqHWto
Posted Jun 21, 2012 12:40 PM ET


thank you Jesse

Answered by user-971748
Posted Jun 27, 2012 9:28 PM ET


For those who are interested to see Nordic's CLT panels up close please stop by the Journal gallery at 106 N1st St in Brooklyn, NY. The (first) opening is this Friday. Gallery hours should be soon on their website:


Thank you for pointing us in the right direction to be able to find it close by.
It has been a great experience working with it...

Answered by user-971748
Posted Oct 3, 2012 11:39 AM ET

Other Questions in Green products and materials

Follow up question re: basement subfloor (climate zone 7a)

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by N/A N/A | Feb 24, 17

insulating a garage

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by N/A N/A | Feb 26, 17

Hydronic Heating System Hydraulic Buffer Tank vs Hydraulic Seperator

In Mechanicals | Asked by Roger Smith | Feb 26, 17

Air conditioning for a radiant heated home?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Lance Peters | Feb 5, 17

Heating and insulating for a wide interior temperature swing

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by John Ranson | Feb 26, 17
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!